WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I've had gout for awhile - was on allopurinol for many years - ended up losing a ton of weight and that solved a lot of my gout problems - I get minor attacks maybe 2 times per year, but haven't had a major attack in many years. To answer a couple of earlier questions - triggers - for me, it wasn't ALL meat, but fatty meat - I can eat a NY strip without issue, but a ribeye would always cause a flareup. Also some shell fish - mussels in particular were bad for me. Pork, like pulled pork -in large quantities, on occasion as well. Time from trigger to actual flareup - for me, it ALWAYS hit in the middle of the night. I'd eat, for example, a ribeye for dinner - and wake up around midnight or 1AM with my foot on fire. Bad thing about gout, is once you get an attack, it's too late to do anything about it. I tried every kind of pain killer known to Man and had zero success - only thing that worked for me was the passage of time. It's a terrible ailment! I do agree, lots of exercise will usually cut you some slack on triggers. Good luck!

I too have been diagnosed with gout, but I haven't had a major flair up in years. The key for me, at least, has been to immediately consume an excess of water when I notice a twinge of pain in one of my big toes. Staying well hydrated dilutes the uric acid, helping the kidneys do their job more effectively. I'm not saying you will stop a major flair up in its tracks by consuming water, but I feel that it helps to stop a minor flair up from becoming a major one.

As far as I can tell, my main trigger is processed meats. Anything with added nitrates/nitrites is a big no in my diet now. Steaks (ribeye or strip) and burgers are still in, occasionally.

Off the AT I would adopt a diet friendly to the liver, kidneys, etc.. There are many herbs that help the system be healthier; I would take charge of your health and research causes and remedies of your condition. Fresh squeezed lemons are very good. Astringent foods and herbs help. I would do dried fruit, raw nuts and similar spare foods, you don't need that much protein in your diet anyway. Ben Franklin and many notable people who ate rich foods were afflicted by it.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmtnboy View Post
    you don't need that much protein in your diet anyway.
    OK replace our ancestral high protein diet with carbs and sugar and see where that gets you.... Insulin resistance, T2D, and more.

As you age you need to increase protein in your diet or you will suffer from sarcopenia. We experience 10% muscle loss/decade. Carbs are merely energy, whereas protein is what you are made of. Get it while you can.

Are you an actual doctor? Ancestral High protein diet? You fully bought into Gary Taubes??

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I've had 2 bouts of Gout in the past and went on Allopurinol many years ago. When I thru-hiked I went off it and didn't have a problem.
    Not saying you shouldn't take your meds but I just didn't feel like dealing with prescriptions while hiking and it worked for me.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Yes, I'm an actual doctor (Ph.D.). Most medical "doctors' lack that degree BTW (M.D. stands for "Medical Deity").

If you dispute our ancestral evolutionary history I'd like to hear from you. Educate us please. Or are you unable to do more than throw verbal assaults at people you don't know, about things you don't understand?
    Last edited by RockDoc; 10-18-2019 at 19:49.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I agree I have general distrust of doctors' prescriptions. It seems like it's easier to add a pill to a patient's messed-up diet/life than to work on correcting the actual problem.
    Many of our illnesses can be solved by removing something from our diet. Yet the first thing we want to do (or are told to do) is add something to it.

Excuse the brief rant. I agree protein needs on a two-week hike shouldn't be a concern. Find your triggers and avoid them.

My long distance hiking spouse has battled rheumatoid arthritis for over thirty years without pills.
    Several popular OTC and scripts trigger gout. Blood pressure meds are associated with gout. Immunosuppressants are associated. Often mainstream western M.D.'s, as bright as they may be, are knee jerk habituated to adding another script, often a OTC NSAID or other anti inflammatory script, as a symptom easier. Dehydration can trigger gout. Obesity has been linked to gout. Popular as a sweetener, HFCS has been linked to gout - SUGAR. High triglycerides are associated with gout. Diabetics are more prone to gout. Heart and kidney malfunctioning(diseases) cause gout. Those on chemotherapy can have high uric acid levels. ALCOHOL, especially beer is a trigger. It is not always an excess of protein and purines and salicylate. It's not just meat which many associate with protein. Certain produce can trigger gout. It may be the metabolizing of what is commonly not that great an issue. Maybe, working with your M.D., do a foods high in purines or salicylate evaluation purge and see which situations including diet combos most influence gout personally. Aspirin is a salicylate. Arriving at gout is not always so clear cut as might be assumed. It may be something in your diet triggers you personally putting you more at risk. This is yet another arthritic pro inflammatory condition that should be thought of and diagnosed holistically rather then with a always a silver bullet approach?

I disagree that you absolutely will not be bothered over a two wk hike. There are various causalities and triggers that can be the consequence of a two wk trip. Hydration being one. Body over use another.

Consider 70% of all U.S. citizens are in in some state of dehydration WHEN HITTING THE TH. This can be made worse on trail.

If you're not receiving this info from your current M.D.'(s) perhaps it's time to seek diagnosis and treatment elsewhere. It may be you may not have to manage gout but eliminate it - be done with it - be RECOVERED...not eternally recovering!!!
    Last edited by Dogwood; 10-19-2019 at 17:36.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++