WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hugger strap length for the AT

I'm planning a SoBo thru hike in 2020 SoBo. I have hammock camped for a few years now. Always in the Whites in NH. I currently use a 5' spider 2.0 hugger from Dutchwear. I was wondering if I would need to bring an extra length or purchase longer huggers for my thru hike?

In the Whites I'm normally a bit higher up in elevation, so the trees tend to be smaller. I sometimes have to loop the hugger around the tree two or three times. So on a thru hike, being down at lower elevations, with the trees a bit larger in diameter, I'm thinking I might need longer huggers?

I use the huggers with whoopie slings

Thanks

You should be fine. There are certainly some larger trees, but also plenty of smaller ones. Ive never needed anything longer, just wanted longer ones.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I've used 12 foot straps all along the AT and never needed more.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

I have the 12' straps. Normally, the 5' ones would be fine but there have been times when I used 8'-10'.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

Rather than longer straps, you could use an Amsteel dogbone (a loop at each end) of whatever length you desire. Lighter than Amsteel, and you can use it for many other things if not needed to hang.
    Last edited by skater; 08-27-2019 at 08:31.

Images

What skater said. Amsteel loops work, too. Basically, I think you'll find the 5' straps work about 80 percent of the time, maybe more, and the other 20% or less you'll only need another foot or so.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

I’ll second Skeeter as well. The 5’ huggers should be plenty, down in MD and Northern VA I’ve never needed anything longer. The dog bones are a light and easy addition for the handful of times you might need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

No way would 5' be enough in my experience, but as others said, a dogbone (or 2) would solve most problems.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

++ New Posts ++