WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default 2 person Tent or Large 1 person

I am looking for an UL tent at a reasonable price (</=$300) My boyfriend has a 2p but I want my own for when I inevitably go on a solo hiking trip. Are there any 1p tents that could fit two people somewhat comfortably? All the 2p tents are over 3lbs and I'm torn on if I will really need a 2p anyways since we have his. His is getting old though so I wouldn't be surprised if we use mine if I were to get one. Also, is it safe to assume that most tents will be good in rain or is there something I should look for in the product description that will tell about a tent's waterproofing?

Thanks!

In addition to the quality of the tent keep in mind that user error can contribute to a wet night if it rains. Site location, orientation, properly pitched and later adjusted if necessary. Practice in your back yard in the rain.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Off the top of my head, I think the only place you are going to find a tent that can hold 2 people, cost about $300, and weights about 3lbs is a Tarptent.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    Also, is it safe to assume that most tents will be good in rain or is there something I should look for in the product description that will tell about a tent's waterproofing?
    I had to seal my Tarptent seams in order to ensure no rain penetration. I don't know if this is true of all tents, but it's certainly something you should check out with any tent you get. I have met a few hikers on the trail who did not seal their tent seams or did not do a good job of it. They got wet.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

It may be you're being unrealistic in your expectations and asking for the impossible, depending on what details matter to you in the end. There is the old adage from engineering about "cheap, light, strong, pick two". The same general idea pertains here.

In this case, any regular 2-person tent is what most people would be comfortable in with one person and many people can manage with two people. So, I would eliminate the idea of a larger one-person tent from the discussion to keep it all easier, and because if there is any chance of fitting two bodies in a tent, it would be classified as a two person in nearly all cases. To get a sub $300, "two person" tent that is new, under three pounds and made out of good enough quality stuff to be "reliable" will significantly limit your options.

That all being said, along with HooKooDooKu's suggestion of a Tarptent, I just checked out the REI Quarter Dome to see what they are doing with that these days (it has been a pretty solid and relatively affordable, almost less than 3 lb tent for a while). I'm impressed with what looks like their latest update as the Quarter Dome SL-2 for significantly less than 3 lbs and $19 more than $300. There is a Labor Day sale coming up that might include that tent or a coupon that can be used toward that tent that would bring it under the $300 mark. And, if not, it's still a solid tent for $319.

Good luck on your search.

Or, better yet, buy a flat tarp for well under $300 and less than 2 lbs and save your money and strength for use on other gear or travel or food to enable even more fun and adventure for the given cost. I love my tents, but I use my tarps more frequently because I like sleeping under them better.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Journal Entries

If a one person tent could fit 2 people semi comfortably it would be a 2 person tent. You might look at the Tarptent Notch, which I believe could do 2 people in a pinch and both sides have large vestibules. If you want to live large Six Moon design Lunar Duo has one of the roomiest 2 person tents in it's category it's 2 lbs 13 oz, not the lightest but per person it's pretty good.

The TarpTent Rainbow is probably as close as you will get. https://www.tarptent.com/product/rainbow/

The Notch is NOT going to fit 2 people - the ends are simply too narrow.

Tarptent products are really great, well made. I have owned a Notch for years, and another TT before that.

Journal Entries

That makes a lot of sense with the 2 person vs large 1 person.

This is what I found after looking for a while. I'm curious to see if anyone has used this.

3F UL Gear Lanshan 2 person Tent

Its 20 D Tub, 15 D everywhere else
    Silnylon

As low as $110 depending where you get it

This design seems similar to the Z Packs Duplex and is under 3lbs without trekking poles. If I'm going to use those anyways then I'm not too worried about bringing the weight over 3lbs.

Thoughts?

have you ever thought about using a tarp?

Journal Entries

Yes, in the past I considered it but I still want the real deal for the colder months and also to protect from bugs in the warmer months. I just don't want to spend $500... yet

I am getting all of my gear in preparation for the 100 mile wilderness, my first section hike of the AT, at the end of September. I've used my boyfriends stuff until now so I had nothing of my own. I've been throwing $200 or so at it every week so I've already spent almost $600 on gear this month. Maybe the tent is not the place to cut corners but I really want one now so I will have everything I need. Plus I have no big expenses like rent atm so its an ideal time to spend my money on this stuff. I would sooner augment all my gear to be UL (getting a scale tonight) than sleep under a tarp.

tents that are used for 1 and "manageable" for 2 but are way too tight aren't often worthwhile for 2 people (you might hate it after awhile and want more space). How heavy is the tent your bf currently has?
    You might want to just go with a 1 person tent for your immediate need and figure out a better 2 person shelter at a later date.

. . .
    Its 20 D Tub, 15 D everywhere else
    Silnylon
    As low as $110 depending where you get it
    This design seems similar to the Z Packs Duplex and is under 3lbs without trekking poles. . .
    Remember, you kinda get what you pay for. Silnylon is not completely water proof in the sense that as a tent floor with your body weight putting pressure on it, it will seep moisture. Higher quality ultra-light nylon tents are using silpoly floors these days. And, as a single-wall tent, you will struggle with really bad condensation issues in many rainy conditions where you need to keep the doors closes to keep the rain out but need to keep them open for circulation to manage humidity and condensation. Unless you've used tents like this and know they work for you where you use them with your backpacking style, you run a pretty high risk of using that tent once and then deciding you want something different.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Yes, in the past I considered it but I still want the real deal for the colder months and also to protect from bugs in the warmer months. I just don't want to spend $500... yet

I am getting all of my gear in preparation for the 100 mile wilderness, my first section hike of the AT, at the end of September. I've used my boyfriends stuff until now so I had nothing of my own. I've been throwing $200 or so at it every week so I've already spent almost $600 on gear this month. Maybe the tent is not the place to cut corners but I really want one now so I will have everything I need. Plus I have no big expenses like rent atm so its an ideal time to spend my money on this stuff. I would sooner augment all my gear to be UL (getting a scale tonight) than sleep under a tarp.
    gotcha, definitely not for everyone. just a suggestion

Lightheart Duo. It’s light, comfortably accommodates two people, and is very roomy for the solo hiker.

Its $315 + $35 for seam sealing. You may be able to find a used one for cheaper but the newer models have a vent in the peak to help with condensation, which I think is pretty cool. I really want to upgrade mine but can’t justify the expense, especially when mine is still in perfect condition.
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 08-19-2019 at 19:15.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Tarptent Rainbow. Palatial for 1, workable for 2 in a pinch. Under $300.

I haven't shared it with my wife on an overnight, but she thought it was a 2-person tent - it's that roomy. If you're both big folks and don't like to be close, it won't work, but for an average size couple that doesn't mind if their elbows touch, it hits your specs.

This is what I found after looking for a while. I'm curious to see if anyone has used this.

This design seems similar to the Z Packs Duplex and is under 3lbs without trekking poles. If I'm going to use those anyways then I'm not too worried about bringing the weight over 3lbs.

Thoughts?
    I haven't used it, but it's earned a reputation as a good value, especially for one person.

It's on the small side for two people, though (especially if either of you are taller than 5' 10" or so) - 43" width and 83" length, with a 4-5" bathtub height. By comparison, many popular double wall tents are 52-54" wide at the head (narrowing to ~42" at the foot), and 88-90" long. (The Duplex is 45" x 90".)

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2
    Only 2 lb 5oz, Footprint 4oz
    See the link below for sale prices slightly below and above $300
    I have done over 2000 miles on the AT and the Ouachita Trail mostly with a Fly Creek UL1. I have been very happy with it.

https://ww5w.discountbandit.com/big-agnes-fly-creek-hv-ul-2-person-bikepacking-tent.html?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=cpc &utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuYf csduR5AIVyx-GCh3K9QAnEAkYDCABEgKfTfD_BwE
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Images

Quote Originally Posted by traffic jam View Post
    lightheart duo. It’s light, comfortably accommodates two people, and is very roomy for the solo hiker.

Its $315 + $35 for seam sealing. You may be able to find a used one for cheaper but the newer models have a vent in the peak to help with condensation, which i think is pretty cool. I really want to upgrade mine but can’t justify the expense, especially when mine is still in perfect condition.
    me too! Me too!

Journal Entries

He's got the z packs duplex so pretty light. If not for the 100 mile wilderness, I would be using whatever I get to do the Cohos solo so maybe it would be better to get a 1 person like you said and I could possibly spring for something more well known and freestanding that would be decent in late April/ Early May when I'm hoping to go.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Unless you've used tents like this and know they work for you where you use them with your backpacking style, you run a pretty high risk of using that tent once and then deciding you want something different.
    That's exactly what I want to avoid. It will likely be wet when I go solo. I don;t think I will be able to wait until next fall to do my 1st solo so would be looking at mudseason. Thanks so much for the input!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++