Default How are you training for your thru-hike?

I'm curious, how people are preparing for next year? Have you started? What are you doing?

I plan on a two-week hike this fall. In the meantime I'm walking as much as I can and am trying to lose 30 lbs before next spring.

Nothing beats training for backpacking than actually backpacking, preferably with the same gear you will use on your thru. I would put a high priority on losing that weight, while still maintaining a workout routine with weightlifting to avoid muscle mass loss.

I've found that doing some trail running events really helps my backpacking. Things that improve include foot placement skill, ankle strength, leg strength, and lung capacity. However, it doesn't work the other way, my running sucks after a long backpacking trip.

Images

Stopped at Dunkin after walking to the library today.

But now I’m only a LASHER.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    13 HF>CramptonsG
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19 AT NOBO 1540.5

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    Stopped at Dunkin after walking to the library today.

But now I’m only a LASHER.

Did seven miles today with a day pack. Day pack because I finally got around to cleaning my backpack and it’s drying.

I did support the local little league by buying a soda from the ballfield concession stand.

Went to REI for some supplies.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    13 HF>CramptonsG
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19 AT NOBO 1540.5

That REI video looks super helpful, thanks for posting!

I hope to tackle the PCT in 2021, and maybe a shorter thru-hike (Tahoe Rim? Wonderland? etc.) in 2020. My main "training" for these far-off goals involves just trying to keep my knees pain-free and trying to maintain my post AT-thru-hike body weight. I've taken up trail running and I've done 2 5ks, with my first 5 mile trail run coming up next month. I live in the Whites now, so I've been hiking a lot too. Contrary to the popular wisdom that the only training you need for backpacking is backpacking, I've found that as soon as I neglect regular PT exercises and regular yoga/stretching in favor of only hiking, my knee pain returns. If I learned anything from the AT about my conditioning, it's that I need to set aside the time for those things, even as a super fit thru-hiker, because otherwise my knees slowly fall apart.
    A.T. 2018 Thru-hike Hopeful
    Follow along at www.tefltrekker.com

Training regimen:
    1. Start walking with 20 lbs on a cross country course (ups and downs). When you can do 3 miles or so and no longer notice the weight, go to step 2.
    2. Increase weight to 45 lbs.on a cross country course (ups and downs). When you can do 5 miles or so and no longer notice the weight you are fit enough to hike 8-10 miles. Make SURE your back weight is less than 35 -32 lbs. 32 lbs is BETTER.

If you manage water ( 3 liters max) you can manage weight. I cary 1.5 L in a camelback. I carry 1 L in a light filter/bag arrangement. I resupply often from the 1 liter bag arrangement. When that runs out, I am sucking off the 1.5 L camelback (total 3L capacity). I then start looking for a water resupply. Water is heavy. Manage it and you will save weight.

Following my instructions, hiking should be easypeasy 8-15 miles..

BTW Get a cardio workout in there. I swim. You will be huffing and puffing and cardio training will help.

++ New Posts ++