WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hampton to damascus - seeking trail information

Greetings All,
    I am an experienced AT hiker planning a Fall section hike from Hampton to Damascus. I am seeking any information about trail conditions, bear activity/warnings, shelter closures, updates, etc., for that area. Any advice will be appreciated.
    Thanks!

Watauga Lake Shelter is gone and no camping is allowed between the road crossing at the lake and Vandeventer Shelter. There is a longstanding bear warning in the same area. You should be fine walking through.

The trail in this section is well maintained. Once you get up the climb past the dam its an easy cruise all the way to Damascus.

Water on this stretch can be hit or miss. We've not had much rain in August so I wouldn't pass up a source if you are low. The water sources at Vandeventer shelter is a total pain in the butt (.3 down a insanely steep trail) to get to so fill up early in the climb and take what you'll need for the night. All other shelter water sources are good.

There are lots of stealth spots all along this route.

Personally, I skip the little PITA ridge climb just past Watauga dam. Just stay on the road and in 0.3 take a left and the trial will be about 100 feet from the intersection.

Once the climb out of Watauga is out of the way, the rest of the way to Damascus is pretty easy. The exception is getting water, as it's usually located way down off the ridge or a long ways from the shelter. (which is also often the case through most of VA) Bring a big water bag, you don't want to do these trips twice!

The alternate water source for Vandeventer is 1.7 miles south of the shelter, but it's after most of the climbing is done. Water for Iron mountain Shelter is 0.3 miles south of the shelter, but on the trail. Water for the Abingdon Gap shelter is also a bit of a walk, 0.4 round trip. At least it's an easy walk. First time I did it I didn't pay much attention to the sign which said "WATER 1000 yrds". Took me a while to realize 1000 yards was a LONG way.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Hey..i provide shuttles in the Damascus and the areas give me a call if you need any support 276-477-0555

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Many thanks. I’m doing that section in September. Actually doin 19E to Damascus. Curious about water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the intel FrogLevel.

Thanks to all for your responses. I welcome any additional info anyone has. Happy Trails!

Can anyone comment on water situation in this stretch? We will be going NOBO week of sept 16

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I left Hampton Tue 9/3 NOBO for TN91. Boots off Hostel and of course Watauga Lake had water. The marked streams and watering holes were dry except for the spring just south of Vandeventer Shelter which had 2 puddles to fill from.Spring before Iron Mountain was dry but followed stream bed down past the spring and bushwacked until finding a puddle of water. Some water but not much at Nick Grindstaff Monument. Footbridge before 91 dry. SOBO at Grindstaff was carrying 7 liters. Shuttle driver said he picked up 5 hikers who gave it up due to water conditions on Fri. Unless it has rained since Fri conditions would most likely be the same.
    Good luck.

++ New Posts ++