WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water at Harper's Creek Shelter in VA Three Ridges Wilderness?

Thinking about doing an overnight loop in the Three Ridges area in Virginia this weekend, camping at the Harper's Creek shelter. Any recent observations on water in Harper's Creek or nearby the shelter? Thanks!

Images

There's a good size pool of water in Harper's Creek right in front of the shelter. Should be water available regardless of weather conditions.
    It's all good in the woods.

Images

and it looks like that area is getting rain today...........

you'll be fine.....

Good info, thank you!

Camped there night before last. Water is down to a trickle. The pool at the shelter is full of bugs and is muddy and easily silted up when disturbed. Walk upstream a bit. You can find a clean pool to scoop from where it seeps out of the ground.

Even better info, thank you! I'm hoping the rain we had yesterday will help, though it is supposed to be hot and sunny for the next few so I imagine that will dry things out again.

Theres always water lower and above the shelter...no matter rain situation. There are a few pools that hold it through dry periods. Now I have seen Maupin almost dried up but it doesnt have the pooling locations like Harpers.

Images

Now I have seen Maupin almost dried up but it doesnt have the pooling locations like Harpers.

yeah...

and it's higher up on the ridge.....

Just a follow up from my trip - Harper's Creek was as expected, very slow flow from the source. Decent size pools close to the shelter. They had some water bugs, and the sediment was easily stirred up, but workable if you are careful. Was able to fill up 2L w/o any issues. Though in addition to the water bugs there were a lot of mosquitoes here!

I did the loop clockwise, and hit the shelter at around 2:30pm (After a 9:30ish start from Reid's gap), so I decided to continue on before camping. About 2.5 miles from Harper's Creek on the MauHar trail is a campsite along Campbell Creek. Campbell creek is flowing strong, and the trail follows it for a stretch. So if you are doing the loop and are continuing, you can easily get water from Campbell vs. messing with Harper's Creek.

++ New Posts ++