WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Short overnight near Hamburg, PA

Hi, I'm planning to do a short overnight with my husband and two small kids (tenting). I'd like to only hike in a mile or two and was planning to park at the Hamburg Reservoir lot (already talked to the woman at the township). Are we only allowed to camp at the shelter? I know there's a stream and what looks to be a good campsite as you're coming down the access road from the Pinnacle, but I don't know if that's allowed. I was hoping to avoid any potential crowds since we have small kids (who can be noisy) and also to avoid any loud party groups out over the 3 day weekend. Thanks!

The pinnacle is a great spot for tenting but may indeed be busy. I found that in PA you could pretty much park at any of the road sides and within 1 mile or 2 find a pretty decent private spot. I stealth camped from DWG all the way to Duncannon every night.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

The Pinnacle is a very popular spot. Windsor Furnace and the surounding area is likely to be packed solid. My guess is those two tent sites just south of the parking area will also be full. One is only big enough for 2 tents, the other 3 and both sites are pretty rough, as are all unofficial tent sites in PA.

However if you can do Sunday night instead of Saturday night, you'd have a better shot.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

As a future option, you could check out the Conrad Weiser State Forest area that is Northwest of the Hamburg Reservoir. Just outside of Port Clinton.
    You could hike to them from various parking lots and, I'm pretty sure , they are free. Nice and quiet too. Hardly used.

++ New Posts ++