WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Long Distance Trail Recommendations in July

Next year I can take all of July off and want to hike a long trail. I was considering the JMT or the CT but it seems like July can be on the early side for either of those trails. The dates would be July 1-31, I could potentially start earlier in May but must be off trail by July 31. Note I have already finished the Long Trail in VT.

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

Sheltowee Trail in KY/TN would fit the bill.

Images

Most years the CO trail is perfect for a July 1-ish start. This year was an exception, though lots of people did start then, they just had more snow than usual to deal with in the 2nd week or so of their hike, plus more deadfall. Same exact deal with the JMT, it is doable easily many years that early. Go west young man! Too hot and steamy out east.

Cool

How many miles would you like to hike?
    Are you determined to hike a named trail from end to end?
    There are alternatives to the ABC Trail end to end hiking.
    Northern New Mexico-Southern Colorado is conducive to a 31 day walkabout. Sections of the CDT/CT can be incorporated in a loose loop itinerary.
    Wyoming can provide a similar Do It Yourself hike. Snow levels in early July need to be watched. The Great Divide Basin on the CDT would be a good warmup while the snow melts at altitude.
    Check this site for ideas: https://pmags.com/summer-2019-or-why...iry-right-away
    Good luck!
    Wayne
    Last edited by Venchka; 08-28-2019 at 12:28.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

July can be perfect for the JMT. Just done expect to pick your start date. The year I hiked it, I started applying for the permit on July 1 (worried that anything sooner might have too much snow). Took 10 days to get a permit HI-->WP. The year was 2016, and I couldn't have asked for better weather and trail conditions travelling between July 10 and July 27. Of course, if you've seen "Mile... Mile & a Half", you know that snow can also make the trail difficult that time of year (the JMT Crew set off on July 10th as well... just a different year that was a 200% snow year).

Images

AT sobo? Maine and into the Whites, if you haven't done that already.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Both the JMT and CT are great trails and normally hikeable in July. I’d expect more mosquitoes on both which would be a downside of early season hiking but more water and flowers is the upside. Just got back from the JMT last week and there were still mosquitoes and minimal snow patches near passes (no big deal) so if there’s a big snow year you may need a backup plan.

Kungsleden trail, Sweden.
    It's a good one. 280 miles or thereabouts
    I'd recommend a NOBO hike.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lostintheforest View Post
    Next year I can take all of July off and want to hike a long trail. I was considering the JMT or the CT but it seems like July can be on the early side for either of those trails. The dates would be July 1-31, I could potentially start earlier in May but must be off trail by July 31. Note I have already finished the Long Trail in VT.
    Miles per day? AT NOBO Hanover NH to Katahdin is 443 miles. You're in NC so you'd lose 3 to 4 days to travel time. Too much at 17 mpd unless you're superman. Gorham to Katahdin is 293 -- 11mpd. But if you could do June 15 to July 31, that would cut Hanover to K to a more realistic 10+ mpd. Lots of choices. Congrats on getting the time off!

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    How many miles would you like to hike?
    Are you determined to hike a named trail from end to end?
    There are alternatives to the ABC Trail end to end hiking.
    Northern New Mexico-Southern Colorado is conducive to a 31 day walkabout. Sections of the CDT/CT can be incorporated in a loose loop itinerary.
    Wyoming can provide a similar Do It Yourself hike. Snow levels in early July need to be watched. The Great Divide Basin on the CDT would be a good warmup while the snow melts at altitude.
    Check this site for ideas: https://pmags.com/summer-2019-or-why...iry-right-away
    Good luck!
    Wayne
    You could put together a loop hike in the northwest as well, or consider a long section on the Pacific Northwest Trail. So many choices.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

++ New Posts ++