WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by crazylegs76 View Post
    ...Someone that posts here on WB all the time definitely knows, but as usual their silence is deafening.
    LaurieP represents ATC in a public capacity - it's her JOB. Why would you even think she would comment beyond on what has been publicly released?

I'll bet there is an employee exodus in the wake of Dixon's untimely departure. They brought in a fresh face that wanted change and she got "forced out" by the OLD guard, and talented folks with new good ideas of their own were rightly pissed when she either quit in disgust or was fired by clowns who fear change. Happens all the time. Would you rather work in a static or dynamic environment? Which do you think is more rewarding and exciting?
    I'll take that bet. I bet ATC's turnover rate will remain about the same as always. And FWIW, the ATC's mission is first and foremost to preserve and manage the AT - not change it or shake things up simply because it's exciting. The "OLD guard", all of whom have extensive hiking backgrounds and "personal histories" with the AT, have done a pretty good job over the years developing and managing a very unique public asset.

People will stay with rewarding and exciting careers they love at awesome orgs despite **** pay.
    After reading this thread, I think one of the most stressful parts of the job and one reason for high turnover would be having to deal frequently with people who let their passion overwhelm their common sense. If you have been on WB for very long then you know how people get worked up over AT issues and a few folks take it to the extreme.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    LaurieP represents ATC in a public capacity - it's her JOB. Why would you even think she would comment beyond on what has been publicly released?

I'll take that bet. I bet ATC's turnover rate will remain about the same as always. And FWIW, the ATC's mission is first and foremost to preserve and manage the AT - not change it or shake things up simply because it's exciting. The "OLD guard", all of whom have extensive hiking backgrounds and "personal histories" with the AT, have done a pretty good job over the years developing and managing a very unique public asset.
    I am sure that the ATC is doing great things and hope that nothing I post here will be interpreted to as suggesting otherwise, but for the life of me I don’t get their $4 million dollar payroll.

I wonder how that compared with what they were paying their professional staff 10, 20 or 30 years ago — and why the increase was needed.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I am sure that the ATC is doing great things and hope that nothing I post here will be interpreted to as suggesting otherwise, but for the life of me I don’t get their $4 million dollar payroll.

I wonder how that compared with what they were paying their professional staff 10, 20 or 30 years ago — and why the increase was needed.
    I have been a member of ATC for 44 years, life member for almost 40. I think when I first joined they may have only had one paid employee (Jean Cashin). Today they have 25 employees just in the conservation section. So I don't think they have started to pay exorbitant salaries, just have increased the number of staff. I have not always agreed with some of the decisions ATC has made. I was upset when they changed their name from Conference to Conservancy and the AT News became the AT Journeys with paid ads. But bottom line they do good work and I will continue to support them financially and by volunteering.
    More walking, less talking.

[QUOTE=crazylegs76;2253929]
    Quote Originally Posted by FrogLevel View Post
    How could she or anyone in the ATC have prevented the incident on trail?

I think this was the preventable incident that would have got lots of folks terminated for so many reasons that are obvious it isn't worth listing them:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckPGLGZt_4A
    How can the ATC prevent a crazy person with an axe from killing someone on the trail?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++