WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Mosquito Invasion

I was doing the section from Devil's Postpile to Thousand Island Lake at the end of July and it was truly miserable. The mosquito situation was the worst I have ever seen. EVER! Mad props to the dudes who handed off their mosquito nets as we were heading in and they were heading out or it would have been even more horrible. I'm heading back up there soon and hoping the bugs have moved on. Anyone been in that section recently? Can you make me feel better by telling me they are full up on hikers?

I can't speak for this year, but in early Sept 2017 I still got ate up at Garnett Lake, which is right by Thousand Island. That was when "the bug situation was improving".
    It is what it is.

I was on the southern half trail from Aug 3 and exited at reds on Aug 16th. I didn't think the mosquitoes were bad at all. I had to use my bug net a handful of times. I carried Deet, but didn't ever have to use any. They were worse in wet areas as you would expect. I adjusted some of my camping spots to be a short distance from lakes if I heard they were bad in the area. My clothing was treated with permetherin before going, so I expect that helped quite a bit.

John

I just spent a week out in the high Sierra and the bugs were bad at dusk. I never got bitten just annoyed.

I was on the JMT from August 16-22 and did roughly the southern half of the trail. Mosquito issues are, like many things, quite subjective. I was bothered by them at certain places but never when actually walking. But there were people hiking in head nets. At camp, I was bothered by them most evenings despite selecting campsites carefully. The one exception was (weirdly) at Rae Lakes where I didn’t see any. I used a little DEET but didn’t use my head net (I hate wearing one). I did wear my rain jacket at camp (they can bite through my shirt but not my rain jacket) and kept my Sunrunner cap on. This made things tolerable to where I only retreated into my tent a couple time.

The JMT was the warmest I recall ever, with night temps especially high. I was way too warm in my 10F zPacks quilt. I should have taken my 30F EE quilt instead.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by froggfeathers View Post
    I was doing the section from Devil's Postpile to Thousand Island Lake at the end of July and it was truly miserable. The mosquito situation was the worst I have ever seen. EVER! Mad props to the dudes who handed off their mosquito nets as we were heading in and they were heading out or it would have been even more horrible. I'm heading back up there soon and hoping the bugs have moved on. Anyone been in that section recently? Can you make me feel better by telling me they are full up on hikers?
    I was in that same section - SoBo, at the same time & YES the mosquitos were Biblical at several locations. The Sunrise lakes area, the bench just below Donahue pass & Thousand Island lake were all inundated with clouds of mosquitos. They were the worst I have ever seen, hands down. I came prepared, treated all clothing with permethrin, carried Deet and had head nets & gloves. These little %#%*!!! would still find ANY untreated / exposed skin and WHAM ! Thousand island lake was the worst but surprisingly garnet lake had negligent bug activity. Go figure!
    Be prepared or prepare to be miserable.
    Last edited by Out of Mind; 01-22-2020 at 21:04.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

When I hiked on July 2016, there were either mosquitos or biting flies or both the while length of the trail. As long as I kept moving, they generally were not an issue. I carried big cloths and slipped into them when I stopped for lunch or dinner. Only a few times did I have to add the head net.

Quote Originally Posted by froggfeathers View Post
    I saw a full net body suit that I first saw on a JMT SOBO. I was almost rolling in laughter on the ground seeing hikers in long pants, hats, LS shirts, heavier wt ones, the ones with out the full net body suits gloves. What a NEWB I surmised possibly wrongly. W-F. I thought it so ridiculous a full net body suit. I later found who the Newb can be ,....ME. I was applying various insect biting elements for vampire like voracious mosquitos in a feeding frenzy, but not enough. I did have a head net and wearing it. These folks were going the other direction NOBO. I reached a section of the JMT that was of epic Biblical levels flying biting skeeters. Ever see that vid UL/ sul hiker Jupiter did what ULer's say and do. Hilarious poking fun at himself and others. It was in jest. But in jest we can learn some things; I did. Slap smack swat bright red blood oozing down exposed and bug juice slathered arms legs and face. I was being drained. I was Newb in taht i was wearing shorts that were convertible pants. Switched to pants mode . Not enough. Used a "rain" or "wind jacket" as shell stifling in 85+ somewhat non or somewhat windy conditions. This was July near 85* on the JMT. Pants in JULY ridiculous. Pants in the desert. LS shirts in the HORT 105 110 deserts? Yes i was ignorant. WE ALL WE all can be! I don't know all things no one but one or three I know.

THEN, I understood WHY a full body net suit. The hiker wearing the head net LS pants LS shirt gloves hat having applied bug juice boots and high socks also sweating profusely was being harrasded and bitten by skeeters more than the Body Net Suit worn by another hiker. I thought it might be sweat but the body suit wearing hiker was also perspiring somewhat profusely so I think that MAY have eliminated sweat. BUT different diets/ specific "foods" can differ resulting in one person "oozing" "wearing" more ammonia a key olfactory feeding response receptor skeeters use. So can elements/compounds, vitamins expelled in our breathe ammonia can also ammonia compounds be released in breathing, in our breathe. But I inquired? similar diets they had all been eating, largely the same diet. Maybe it could be one food or drink. ALL could not rule that out. I thought it may be the clothing; the hiker with the body net suit also was wearing LS clothing high bots, pants and hat and gloves under the full net body suit, The full net body suit which I initially found ridiculous in July in *85* was one thing all agreed MAY have made the difference in not or rarely being drained. Later, I found out that another hiked breached in our 20 min all involved conversation were physical ailments like having Diabetes or kidney issues; I later found that hiker could indeed be scientifically/science based correct. I was skeptical at first, Michael Shermer like. Google if you don't know him. He's a skeptic so I can be. But in Shermer-like own way he can limit or promote his skepticism, so can I. Not a bad or good guy, as i can be. Not always right or wrong Mr Shermer as well as myself as well as possibly everyone does NOT know all things having an infinite amt of knowledge, intelligence or wisdom. I know one who does though. ALL TRUE!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I saw a full net body suit that I first saw on a JMT SOBO. I was almost rolling in laughter on the ground seeing hikers in long pants, hats, LS shirts, heavier wt ones, the ones with out the full net body suits gloves. What a NEWB I surmised possibly wrongly. W-F. I thought it so ridiculous a full net body suit. I later found who the Newb can be ,....ME. I was applying various insect biting elements for vampire like voracious mosquitos in a feeding frenzy, but not enough. I did have a head net and wearing it. These folks were going the other direction NOBO. I reached a section of the JMT that was of epic Biblical levels flying biting skeeters. Ever see that vid UL/ sul hiker Jupiter did what ULer's say and do. Hilarious poking fun at himself and others. It was in jest. But in jest we can learn some things; I did. Slap smack swat bright red blood oozing down exposed and bug juice slathered arms legs and face. I was being drained. I was Newb in taht i was wearing shorts that were convertible pants. Switched to pants mode . Not enough. Used a "rain" or "wind jacket" as shell stifling in 85+ somewhat non or somewhat windy conditions. This was July near 85* on the JMT. Pants in JULY ridiculous. Pants in the desert. LS shirts in the HORT 105 110 deserts? Yes i was ignorant. WE ALL WE all can be! I don't know all things no one but one or three I know.

THEN, I understood WHY a full body net suit. The hiker wearing the head net LS pants LS shirt gloves hat having applied bug juice boots and high socks also sweating profusely was being harrasded and bitten by skeeters more than the Body Net Suit worn by another hiker. I thought it might be sweat but the body suit wearing hiker was also perspiring somewhat profusely so I think that MAY have eliminated sweat. BUT different diets/ specific "foods" can differ resulting in one person "oozing" "wearing" more ammonia a key olfactory feeding response receptor skeeters use. So can elements/compounds, vitamins expelled in our breathe ammonia can also ammonia compounds be released in breathing, in our breathe. But I inquired? similar diets they had all been eating, largely the same diet. Maybe it could be one food or drink. ALL could not rule that out. I thought it may be the clothing; the hiker with the body net suit also was wearing LS clothing high bots, pants and hat and gloves under the full net body suit, The full net body suit which I initially found ridiculous in July in *85* was one thing all agreed MAY have made the difference in not or rarely being drained. Later, I found out that another hiked breached in our 20 min all involved conversation were physical ailments like having Diabetes or kidney issues; I later found that hiker could indeed be scientifically/science based correct. I was skeptical at first, Michael Shermer like. Google if you don't know him. He's a skeptic so I can be. But in Shermer-like own way he can limit or promote his skepticism, so can I. Not a bad or good guy, as i can be. Not always right or wrong Mr Shermer as well as myself as well as possibly everyone does NOT know all things having an infinite amt of knowledge, intelligence or wisdom. I know one who does though. ALL TRUE!
    Man.. i just purchased my first head net. An MLD head net. Never had bug pro before. I'm scared of going outdoors now.

I wonder if I could make my s2s nano net something like a full body suit lol.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Default Mosquito Invasion

Makes me think of the Werner Herzog film, Happy People.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

++ New Posts ++