Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Thread: headlamp

  1. #21
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Join Date
    02-25-2007
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,243
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    The second one is mine. I am very happy with it. Presumably there is a current, similar model.
    Sort-of.

    The closest thing that have now is the Iota.

    The Iota weights the same as the 2nd model Ion, but costs twice the price because it's a rechargeable battery rather than replaceable AAA batteries. It has a little more power, and about the same amount of run time. But it does NOT have the Red LED (only the white).

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Sort-of.

    The closest thing that have now is the Iota.

    The Iota weights the same as the 2nd model Ion, but costs twice the price because it's a rechargeable battery rather than replaceable AAA batteries. It has a little more power, and about the same amount of run time. But it does NOT have the Red LED (only the white).
    Because we all have USB charging available in the back country, and don't need to keep our night vision intact I suppose.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-11-2012
    Location
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Age
    68
    Posts
    149

    Default

    I have used a tiny keychain light with good results. It is a minimalist light and won't make folks who want a lot of light happy. It does not meet the criteria of the original post. The exact one I like may not be available any more, not sure. It was the sold as the Pico Nano if I remember correctly. It weighs about 1/4 ounce. I keep one on a cord around my neck. For stuff like cooking I tuck it under my chin or hold it in my mouth. I usually use it for a few seconds at a time so the battery lasts a very long time. I find it bright enough to see, but dim enough to not totally kill my night vision if I am careful. I have toyed with rigging up some kind of cap with a red filter but have never gotten around to it. Not sure how well that would work.

    I have not hiked at night with it much, but have used it to navigate back to the car when caught out after bagging a peak.

    I have done a few backpacking trips and a lot of bicycle touring with one of these as my only light. The backpacking has been limited to a few trips of 10 days or less, but I have gone coast to coast on the bike, done other long tours, and done some dirt/off road touring, so I have camped a good bit with minimalist gear with the Pico as my only light.

  4. #24
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Join Date
    02-25-2007
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,243
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    The closest thing that have now is the Iota.
    So I started to take a second look at the Iota.

    I already carry a phone and small battery for the phone. If I had a rechargeable headlamp, I could ditch the extra set of batteries I carry for the headlamp.

    Sadly, Black Diamond isn't up-to-date on technology... All of the (non-Apple) phones my family are now on the USB-C connection. Sadly, it looks like all the current Black Diamond rechargeable headlamps still use the old micro-USB.

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    So I started to take a second look at the Iota.

    I already carry a phone and small battery for the phone. If I had a rechargeable headlamp, I could ditch the extra set of batteries I carry for the headlamp.

    Sadly, Black Diamond isn't up-to-date on technology... All of the (non-Apple) phones my family are now on the USB-C connection. Sadly, it looks like all the current Black Diamond rechargeable headlamps still use the old micro-USB.
    I believe there is a tiny little adapter available to switch from one to the other style of connector
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

    A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu
    Sadly, Black Diamond isn't up-to-date on technology... All of the (non-Apple) phones my family are now on the USB-C connection. Sadly, it looks like all the current Black Diamond rechargeable headlamps still use the old micro-USB.
    Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    I believe there is a tiny little adapter available to switch from one to the other style of connector
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    The reviews imply it doesn't work with every electronic device or feature, but so far it has worked with my Pixel 2 to NU25 and InReach Mini for the purpose of recharging.
    Last edited by Recalc; 09-05-2019 at 20:11.

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    That nitecore NU25 looks like a great option, but be aware, the specs on it are misleading, it is not 0.9 ounces, more like 1.9 ounces with the headband. Still, pretty darn UL for a versatile headlamp.



    Anyone have any actual experience with this headlamp?
    Mine arrived today,weighs in at 1.2 oz with bungee head band.I like the lock out feature,3 white light settings,2 red light settings,and strobe feature in either color.Looks pretty solid and it supposedly holds a charge for about a year in storage.No idea what the actual life is in use but I always carry some sort of backup light anyway.

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    hmmm... I have an Energizer with multiple settings and 3 batteries weighing in at 3.2oz. Guess I will keep this one for now.
    I have used a few different versions of the store bought headlights. I started off with a 100 lumen energizer, found it not bright enough to identify some critters I encountered while night hiking (scary), then I bought a lowe's brand that was 200 lumens, but it likes to turn itself on inside my pack. My most recent one is another energizer. It's also in the 200 lumen range, but it has a feature I like...instead of cycling it through the different modes to turn it off, the next click turns it off (after it's been on for more than like 10 seconds) I like it a lot.
    After needing and not having a bright enough headlight, I don't know if I'll feel comfortable with an ultralight, not very bright headlight.

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-01-2014
    Location
    Norwell, MA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    . . . Presumably there is a current, similar model.
    I believe the new Spot-Lite is the current similar model to the Black Diamond Ion. It looks like they did a good job of keeping the core idea and improving on the issues that didn't work well with the ion like lensing quality for the red light and intermittent switch issues.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

  10. #30
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Join Date
    02-25-2007
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,243
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    I believe the new Spot-Lite is the current similar model to the Black Diamond Ion. It looks like they did a good job of keeping the core idea and improving on the issues that didn't work well with the ion like lensing quality for the red light and intermittent switch issues.
    Thanks for pointing this one out.

    Much of the specs are similar, such as weight and power source. But I'm disappointed that they've increased the Max Output by about 50% and nearly doubled the Max Beam Distance. But the average run time is only 1/3 of the Ion.

    The Ion had a run time of 6-hi/180-lo hours. The Spot-Lite has a run time of 2-hi/60-lo hours.
    But I still agree with your assessment that Spot-Lite is the follow-up to the Ion rather than the Iota. While the Iota has the same weight as the Ion and Spot-Lite, it's designed with a rechargeable battery and no Red LED.

  11. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Thanks for pointing this one out.

    Much of the specs are similar, such as weight and power source. But I'm disappointed that they've increased the Max Output by about 50% and nearly doubled the Max Beam Distance. But the average run time is only 1/3 of the Ion.

    The Ion had a run time of 6-hi/180-lo hours. The Spot-Lite has a run time of 2-hi/60-lo hours.
    But I still agree with your assessment that Spot-Lite is the follow-up to the Ion rather than the Iota. While the Iota has the same weight as the Ion and Spot-Lite, it's designed with a rechargeable battery and no Red LED.
    The REI site shows 28 hours at high. That is plenty for me. BLACK DIAMOND SPECS DISAGREE. Still, 14 hours at 80 lumens is not bad.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

  12. #32
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Join Date
    02-25-2007
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,243
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    The REI site shows 28 hours at high. That is plenty for me. BLACK DIAMOND SPECS DISAGREE. Still, 14 hours at 80 lumens is not bad.
    Obviously the REI spec of 28 hours at high is WRONG!!!

    As for 14 hours at 80 lumens (medium setting), I'll admit that seems impressive compared to the Ion 6 hours at 100 lumens (max setting)

  13. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Obviously the REI spec of 28 hours at high is WRONG!!!

    As for 14 hours at 80 lumens (medium setting), I'll admit that seems impressive compared to the Ion 6 hours at 100 lumens (max setting)
    Yep. My ion does get me through months of evening dog walks, though.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •