WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Baldface Circle Trail

Looking to do the Baldface Circle Trail next week. Will add the Slippery Brook Trail for some length so it makes sense for an overnight since the shelter is almost right at the end/ the beginning. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    Looking to do the Baldface Circle Trail next week. Will add the Slippery Brook Trail for some length so it makes sense for an overnight since the shelter is almost right at the end/ the beginning. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions?
    I haven't done the Slippery Brook Trail but have done the 10 mile loop as an overnight backpack hike. The approach to South Baldface using the Baldface Circle Trail is a Class 2 rock scramble, bordering on class 2/class 3 at times; but you'll miss this section if you take the Slippery Brook Trail.

I did the 10 miles with my gf and our 10 year old son and it was beautiful. We camped in on an exposed slab of rock about 0.6 miles before the summit of South Baldface; beautiful sunrise, don't miss it.
    Frankenstein - 2014 GAME
    www.trailjournals.com/kylezontheat

We never have stayed at the shelter. Poor water source. You will want to to go up Baldface Circle trail, not down it. Last time we hiked up the ledges, over to Slippery Brook intersection with Baldface Circle trail and followed Slippery brook to mountain pond and the next day, reversed it back to Slippery Brook and to the parking lot. Wild River Wilderness isone of my favorite areas. You can possibly loop over to Perkins Notch tentsite, as well.

I did that loop last summer. Totally insane. There were some scary moves going up the ledges. You do not want to go down the ledges to the shelter. You also don't want to be on those ledges if there is any chance of them being wet. A slip could result in a long slide and an abrupt stop.

The shelter was nice. I don't remember the water situation, but I would believe it's marginal now. There is no water above the shelter so if there isn't water at the shelter, you'd have to carry a whole lot from the river crossing about 0.7 in from the road. There was logging activity at the lower end of the trail last summer, so there could be some impact from that.

I would hike up the circle trail to the shelter. Since it's a relatively short hike, you can start after noon. Climb a little above the shelter to where the open ledges start for a nice evening view. There are some nice places to sit up there.

If you do the loop, don't take the Bicknell ridge trail down. It's shorter but a serious knee cruncher of a decent and rock scrambles, made worse if you have more then a daypack on.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I did a two night loop of sorts in that area a couple of years ago. Went up the ledges on the way up to the south peak, across to the north peak and then down the back side on the Eagle Link Tr. Followed the Wild River and spent the night at the old campsite. The next day was a relaxer with a short hike to the Blue Brook site and a long afternoon in the hammock. My exit route was up to Rim Junction and then across via the Basin Rim Tr to Meader before taking the other side of the Baldface Circle down.

Very pretty hike! Pics and babbling from that trip here if you need proof http://lesstraveledby.net/2017/09/06...oop-july-2017/
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I did that loop last summer. Totally insane. There were some scary moves going up the ledges. You do not want to go down the ledges to the shelter. You also don't want to be on those ledges if there is any chance of them being wet. A slip could result in a long slide and an abrupt stop.
    Wow. Really glad I asked about this. I could have done it totally wrong.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStranger View Post
    I did a two night loop of sorts in that area a couple of years ago. Went up the ledges on the way up to the south peak, across to the north peak and then down the back side on the Eagle Link Tr. Followed the Wild River and spent the night at the old campsite. The next day was a relaxer with a short hike to the Blue Brook site and a long afternoon in the hammock. My exit route was up to Rim Junction and then across via the Basin Rim Tr to Meader before taking the other side of the Baldface Circle down.

Very pretty hike! Pics and babbling from that trip here if you need proof http://lesstraveledby.net/2017/09/06...oop-july-2017/
    That sounds awesome. Thanks so much for the route suggestion!

Journal Entries

So I ended up going up the South Arm and hiking across the ridges, over Meader and down to Rim Junction to spend the night at Blue Brook. Was going to head to Perkins after but opted to go down to Basin Pond because it was very secluded with a lot of traces of recent Moose activity; I was alone for this trip. I stayed at the AMC Cold River Camp; it was in the final days of extension week and well worth the $95 for the night. Includes a private cabin, 3 meals, and access to top notch facilities with lots of camp history and awesome folks to converse with. So glad I found this hidden gem of a place. On Saturday, I hiked a 10 mile combination of Deer Hill and Lord Hill Mine loops before departing later that day. Lots of fun for my first outing. Evans Notch is a great place to escape the crowds; just be ready to be truly alone midweek this time of year. 20190907_120412.jpg

The Evens notch area is pretty quiet any time of year. Even the Wild river NFS campground is pretty quiet.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I have been in that area a lot this year as I am hanging around with Redliners who are running out of the close by hikes and now need the ones in Maine. There is some nice hiking in the area, but the trails in the two wilderness areas in that area are real tough to follow in spots.

++ New Posts ++