WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Solar battery chargers

A friend is headed to Patagonia this February for a 10 day walkabout and we had a conversation about camera and cell phone (camera feature) battery life. Since I do not use solar charging, I thought I would ask the group for technology suggestions regarding solar charging options. A quick search didn't find any recent technology reviews, thought that may be an issue with how the search query was made, operator error being what it is.

Since this technology seems to be rapidly changing/improving I was curious if anyone had recommendations. As I understand the route, much of it will be in the open (not much if any canopy) so a solar option seems practical. Weight at this point is less of an issue than functionality and compatibility.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts shared.

I think I'm in the minority on this forum ... but I really like the Goal-Zero equipment. While the solar chargers aren't much use on most of the AT ... if you have open sky, they give a good power to weight ratio, are durable, and come in several sizes. I use a Goal Zero Venture battery on the AT, and have two of the solar chargers that I sometimes use when canoeing or sailing, or in other situations where I will get enough sunlight. If you need more detailed information...let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    A friend is headed to Patagonia this February for a 10 day walkabout and we had a conversation about camera and cell phone (camera feature) battery life. Since I do not use solar charging, I thought I would ask the group for technology suggestions regarding solar charging options. A quick search didn't find any recent technology reviews, thought that may be an issue with how the search query was made, operator error being what it is.

Since this technology seems to be rapidly changing/improving I was curious if anyone had recommendations. As I understand the route, much of it will be in the open (not much if any canopy) so a solar option seems practical. Weight at this point is less of an issue than functionality and compatibility.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts shared.
    probably best asked on the PCT forum
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

Images

I had great luck with this Renogy item on a Sierra High Route a couple summers ago, kept my 10,000 mAH battery pack topped off pretty well:

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-FLEX-M...6&sr=8-18&th=1

Here I am with it hanging off the back of my pack, I carried it this way for 2 weeks. Weight = 6.1 ounces, including two little micro-caribiners. Of course the external battery pack also weighs about 6 ounces, but I would have carried that in any case. A lighter one would probably do, like a 6700 mAH Anker, about 4.5 ounces. Or you can not carry the extra external battery and just keep your phone directly hooked up to the solar panel while hiking, but that's kinda inconvenient, as I use my phone for pics and navigation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great information, thanks!

++ New Posts ++