WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default WTB Dragonfly Stove

Looking to try out a gas stove... seems like the Dragonfly is the way to go...

Looking for a Dragonfly stove. I am located in Ohio

FYI your call but a dragonfly is large and heavy for a solo 3 season hiker. Even nosier than a whisperlight. Far better for groups or winter. FYI, a whsperlight can summer it just requires a few tricks of the trade.

The initial years of the Dragonfly came with poorly designed pump bodies. There are two plastic tabs that hold the pump body together. The pump head rotates a small amount that engages the tabs. The tabs broke. MSR came out with a new design pump that didnt have this issue after a couple of years. Make sure the tabs are not broke.

Look on ebay. Good stove but heavy.

Images

If your still looking for a Dragonfly I have one... It also includes the expedition service kit and Trillium stove base with it.

I am still looking.

I have a dragonfly stove that I do not use much anymore. PM me if you are interested

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    FYI your call but a dragonfly is large and heavy for a solo 3 season hiker. Even nosier than a whisperlight. Far better for groups or winter. FYI, a whsperlight can summer it just requires a few tricks of the trade.
    We had very different reactions coming from the Whisperlite to the Dragonfly. To me it was a night and day leap forward in stove design. Where a Whisperlite can be coddled and futzed with to sort of act like it's simmering and a middle of the road full throttle output, the Dragonfly has instant adjustment from barely on to roaring inferno. To me that ability is easily worth a three ounce weight penalty when I'm already taking the big hit of using a liquid fuel stove.

Thanks for the feedback.

Not sure if I’ll use it backpacking. It will mostly be for car camping to offset my flat top Blackstone grill. When I need a actual burner for something.

If you're just using it for that, why not grab a Coleman two burner for a fraction of the price? Much better suited to typical car camping use.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    If you're just using it for that, why not grab a Coleman two burner for a fraction of the price? Much better suited to typical car camping use.
    Just got rid of my 1980s Colman 2 burner for a Blackstone flattop grill.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioHiker View Post
    Just got rid of my 1980s Colman 2 burner for a Blackstone flattop grill.
    So does the "flattop" run on white gas? Otherwise I'm not following your logic here.

Backpacking stoves make horrible car camping stoves, and Vice Versa...

If your absolutely set on two separate cooking devices for car camping, why not have both use the same fuel type/canister?

Maybe I'm ignorant, help me understand

i have whisperlite stoves for many years n never had problems turning the flame way down to a light simmer. one of my stoves needed a new pump, it developed a crack.

the new pump seemed to have two speeds no matter how careful you turn down the valve... off and weld! i thought it was a faulty pump n returned it but the replacement wasnt any better.

i got in touch with the manufacturer n they confirmed the new pumps dont adjust well.

my solution was to buy an old junk stove for the parts. the old pumps work great.

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    So does the "flattop" run on white gas? Otherwise I'm not following your logic here.

Backpacking stoves make horrible car camping stoves, and Vice Versa...

If your absolutely set on two separate cooking devices for car camping, why not have both use the same fuel type/canister?

Maybe I'm ignorant, help me understand
    No worries.

Basically I always used a 2 burner Coleman and a flat iron griddle. One burner didn’t work well and i thought it’s time for a new stove.

I choose to go with the flattop griddle for ease off cooking. And it is far better that the old Coleman. It runs off the same propane cylinders. I actually bought the kit so that I can hook a bbq grill propane tank to it.

The problem I have is making coffee. I thought maybe I could just set my percolator on top of it and it would boil water, that isn’t the case. So I need a way to operate my percolator and I thought a single burner camp type stove would be perfect. I could also use it backpacking in a pinch, or maybe just a day trip.

The other thing I was thinking about doing was buying a jet boil flash with the Java kit. But I regularly make coffee for the group I’m camping with, hence the percolator.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Are you looking for a used one to save a few bucks? Because I can find plenty of new ones

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Are you looking for a used one to save a few bucks? Because I can find plenty of new ones
    That’s correct

Are you still looking for a dragonfly stove?

++ New Posts ++