WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water Standing Bear Farm north to Erwin

How is the water situation between Standing Bear Farm and Erwin looking? Are any of the reliable sources in AWOL's guide no longer there? What seems to be the longest stretches without water? Thanks for any input. Heading that way soon and have heard things are pretty dry. -- Turk
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Images

yeah....

things are very dry here in east tn/western NC....

not sure about that stretch but it could be a tough draw.....

Many of the “reliable” sources are dry in this area and all the way north to SNP. This is making it difficult for sure. I have chosen hostels over camping a number of times in the past 2 weeks just because of water uncertainty.

Images

I did Standing Bear to Hot Springs a couple of weeks ago as part of a larger trip starting at Fontana Dam. Things were definitely dry and flows greatly reduced and we have not had much rain since then. I used comments in Guthook app and questioned southbound hikers to help gauge what sources were dry and which were not and I tried to always carry at least 2 liters. It was very hot when I did that section although temps have recently cooled.

The worst section was Standing Bear to Roaring Fork Shelter. Painter's Branch was barely flowing, Wildcat Springs (just N of FAA tower) was barely flowing, reports were that Groundhog Shelter was dry so I by-passed. However, Guthook app comments showed that a recent rain had Groundhog Shelter flowing again as of Sept 9.

So I would suggest starting out with at least 2 or 3 liters and fill up any time you come across a flowing source. Get the Guthook app for this section and monitor user comments on status of sources. If you are going Northbound, you will encounter the Southbound flip floppers who are starting to come through and you can ask them how they found water sources and use that to gauge where to fill up and how much water to carry.

Good luck.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

There is water in the stream below Max Patch, just north of where the AT crosses the road.

++ New Posts ++