WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    Man, everyone is ruining all the fun here...this is how urban legends get started such as the Lizard Man in SC, the Hodag in WI or the Chupacabra.

It looks to me like it's about 7' tall with a cat body and wolf head
    As someone who hikes and camps alone in this area SCREW YOU haha. Now I gotta worry about THIS in addition to the aliens.

The head size to body ratio is that of a house cat.

Mountain lions have "little" heads and long-ish necks relative to their body size.

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    This picture was taken in the Wolf Laurel area. Wolf Laurel is a mountain community, which is walking distance from Big Bald (mile 325 NOBO). Below is a partial of the text that accompanied the Facebook post.

"Wolf Laurel Community....this is not to frighten you but rather to give you a heads up that the mountain lion is back in the neighborhood in and around El Miner and the ski lodge. He has been picked up on my camera three times within the last couple of weeks, was seen by my neighbor and a baby deer was killed this morning on the road near the ski lodge. I have no small animals left in or around my yard including chipmunks, squirrels or rabbits...all gone. This one appears to be young as he still has some markings on his tail and legs which means there could be more than one in the area."

There is some argument within the Wolf Laurel community as to whether this is really a mountain lion or a domestic cat. Whatever the case may be, apparently there are some small animals disappearing, which indicates something is out there.

Mountain Lion, Bobcat or Domestic Cat?

Mountain Lion

• Weight: 80-160 pounds
    • Length: About 7-8 feet long
    • Tail: 2-3 feet long (up to half of the total length)

Identification
    The mountain lion is a large, slender cat, with a long rope-like tail. Adults are a uniform tan or tawny in color, with a white or cream-colored chin, undersides and inner legs.

Bobcats, feral cats and domestic dogs may be misidentified as mountain lion. Below is a list of physical characteristics that distinguish mountain lions from more common species.
    Physical appearance

• Coat overall is tawny to golden-brown
    • Long, thick tail with blunt, black tip that is held low, not uplifted
    • Oval heads are smaller in proportion to their overall body size
    • Longer neck in comparison to housecats; the neck can be as long as the length of the head
    • Rounded ears that are solid black or gray on the back, may have a white or light spot
    • Some black on the front of the muzzle, below the nose
    • Belly, underside, inside legs and chin are white or creamy
    • Slight sag to their spine

NOTE: Use of optics (binoculars or scopes) can maginfy an animal's size.
    Tracks

• Approximately 3-4 inches in length and 3-4.5 inches wide
    • Round and often wider than they are long
    • No claws

Front Track

Back Track

Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

The size of those hind legs says mountain lion.

Stripes on tail says tabby
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Based on my experience in video forensics, and basing my opinion on the displayed leaf litter and correlating it to the critter with an estimated 15-20 yards to the background structure....its a cat.

The closer to human habitat calls for a house cat.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Shake a box of Friskies....

I showed this photo to our 14 year old cat. He admitted it, it's him out on a night time hunt. Yes, he's a house cat BUT he IDENTIFIES as a Mountain Lion, therefore.......
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

We live in the DFW area, but 1/4 from a major lake with lots of wildlife. Bobcats are fairly common near the lake. Someone over on the "rich" side of town, from their porch overlooking the lake, they posted on NEXTDOOR, that there was a HUGE MOUNTAIN LION along the lake! A few others said "WE THINK SO ALSO". Then the wildlife experts posted what land here in Texas would be needed to support a large cat. Conclusion was that it would take all of the 11 counties that make up our "Metroplex (mess)". Photo's of the track and measurements showing it wasn't large enough to be a ML, didn't convince some. Meanwhile, lots of armchair people were posting their "sightings". This went on for a week. Then a funny thing happened. A person who lives 2 doors down from the "sighting", happens to have a game camera pointing at the lake. They posted photos of coyotes, deer,......and bobcat.....Dated to the day the original poster was convinced a MOUNTAIN LION walked by.
    That ended that discussion.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

I think I recall this same picture showing up with the same story but a different location some time ago. Anyone else remember that?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Stripes on tail says tabby
    racoon :-)

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    I showed this photo to our 14 year old cat. He admitted it, it's him out on a night time hunt. Yes, he's a house cat BUT he IDENTIFIES as a Mountain Lion, therefore.......
    Now that's funny!!! I have run into a few cats over the years that thought they were mountain lions too.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++