WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Summer Sausage

Default Summer Sausage

Went to the store today to pick up some snacks for the trail. Lo and behold they had summer sausage, which brings back a flood of memories of Pepperidge Farms Summer Sausage and smoked cheese (anyone with me on this). When I got home, I eagerly cut off a piece and ate it. Much to my delight, it tasted just like Spam without the Spam name. Now that the patent for Spam has expired, my guess years ago, the recipe is being sold to make Spam-like meats. Has anyone encountered any knockoffs of Spam-like food?

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    . . . Has anyone encountered any knockoffs of Spam-like food?
    Oh geez, isn't one enough!?
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Went to the store today to pick up some snacks for the trail. Lo and behold they had summer sausage, which brings back a flood of memories of Pepperidge Farms Summer Sausage and smoked cheese (anyone with me on this). When I got home, I eagerly cut off a piece and ate it. Much to my delight, it tasted just like Spam without the Spam name. Now that the patent for Spam has expired, my guess years ago, the recipe is being sold to make Spam-like meats. Has anyone encountered any knockoffs of Spam-like food?
    Armour Treet is close...

th.jpg

I think you are mis-remembering what spam (or summer sausage) tastes like, because even the cheapest summer sausage tastes nothing like Spam to me.

Images

Has anyone encountered any knockoffs of Spam-like food?

yeah....

its found in the dog food aisle....

(disclaimer---I have not nor will I ever try it)

Summer Sausage has been around since forever.
    How did you miss it?
    I avoid the “doctored” up varieties like Jalapeño peppers. Great on the trail. I buy the smaller sizes. Keeps as long as it takes me to eat it.
    Wayne

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    I think you are mis-remembering what spam (or summer sausage) tastes like, because even the cheapest summer sausage tastes nothing like Spam to me.
    Author Paul Theroux wrote that the reason Spam is so popular in Oceania is that its flavor most closely approximates that of long pig (human flesh).

Now that the patent for Spam has expired, my guess years ago, the recipe is being sold to make Spam-like meats.
    I don’t believe Hormel ever had a patent on SPAM, and the recipe has never been revealed.
    Hormel does own the trademark for SPAM, but only for food products. It lost a court fight where the word spam was used in the name of some anti-spam software.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

There were recent posts about ketogenic backpacking. I haven't been able to find them and you;d appreciate someone's help.--Thanks.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    I don’t believe Hormel ever had a patent on SPAM, and the recipe has never been revealed.
    Hormel does own the trademark for SPAM, but only for food products. It lost a court fight where the word spam was used in the name of some anti-spam software.
    Hormel really didn’t need a patent anyway. What company in their right mind would want to duplicate THAT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Say what you will, but spam saved a lot of people from starvation during WWII. Ask older people from Britain. Cans of spam were sent over by well meaning Americans.

And there are a lot of us today that still enjoy Spam.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Say what you will, but spam saved a lot of people from starvation during WWII. Ask older people from Britain. Cans of spam were sent over by well meaning Americans.
    Nikita Khrushchev credited SPAM with helping the Red Army defeat the German army in WWII. Every WWII movie has at least one SPAM reference,(usually a joke), in it.

I think I bought a can of "PREM" at the Dollar Tree...it was a bad imitation of SPAM.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hwqlw

++ New Posts ++