WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water situation in Massachusetts

Headed to do the Massachusetts section here in the next week. Was wondering if anyone had any recent feedback on how well the springs are flowing up there?

water was flowing in tyringham today, though not as strong as it was a week ago. i think some of the smaller / seasonal brooks might be dry but the larger ones should be reliable.

we do have a dry stretch coming, but it is cooling off a little too so you might not need as much water.

Anyone else have any info?

Hiked Mass. Sept. 3 through Sept. 8 and it was blistering hot. I was going through 6 liters/day. Small streams are drying up. There is a water spigot on the back of Bascom Lodge on the top of Greylock and I was glad for that. The normally reliable spring at the southern Mt. Wilcox shelter was dry. We kept our water supply topped off at every opportunity. So as of the 8th, I would say water is not plentiful in Mass, but the hike is doable if you carry at least 3 liters and try to keep it topped off. Water is more critical as you head south from Mass. There is an 11 mile stretch south of Fitzgerald Falls (NY) with no water. Trail clubs had water jugs at many of the trail heads from Mass. to NJ, but you can't count on those.

I'm just south of the MA line and have noted most small to moderate streams and creeks are dry as are seeps and small springs that commonly have some water flow. The higher one goes in elevation the more pronounced that gets. The good news however is there are plenty of small ponds and lakes along the AT corridor in MA where there is plentiful water. At this time of year when weather has been dry, I carry a few liters of water from each water site just in case the next water source is dry.

Here are a number of water sites that are fairly dependable and should have water, though water quality may be questionable given the lack of recent rain and upstream livestock contamination, stagnation, or algae blooms that may impact some of these, filtering water which mitigates these issues however. From north to south in MA (mileage between site is approximated), these water sites include:

Mt Greylock summit - start point (developed water site)
    Mark Loepel shelter - 3 miles south of Greylock
    Cheshire (town) - 5 miles south of Loepel (various sources and Ice Cream!)
    Gore Pond - 4 miles south of Cheshire
    Crystal Mtn Campsite - 0.5 miles south of Gore pond
    Dalton (town) - 3 miles south of Crystal (various sources)
    Kay Wood shelter - 3.5 miles south of Dalton
    October Mtn shelter - 9 miles south of Wood
    Finery Pond - 4 miles south of October man
    Greenwater Pond - 5 miles south of Finery
    Upper Goose Creek campsite - 2 miles south of Greenwater
    Merry Brook - 3 miles south of UGC
    Hop Brook - 3 miles south of Merry Brook
    East Brook - 6 miles south of Hop Brook
    Mt. Wilcox North shelter - 1 mile south of Hop Brook
    Mt. Wilcox South shelter - 2 miles south of North shelter
    Benedict Pond - 2 miles south of South shelter
    Lake Buel feeder pond - 3 miles south of Benedict
    Tom Leonard shelter - 2.5 miles south of feeder pond
    Housatonic River - 5 miles south of shelter - Do NOT drink water from here all the way through CT due to PCBs and Lead (down by Ten Mile river)
    Jug End Road area - 6 miles south of Housatonic River
    Guider Pond, Glenn Brook, and Hemlock camping areas- 4/5 miles south of Jug End road (clustered water sites within a mile of each other)
    Race Brook camping area - 2 miles south of Guilder Pond
    Bear Rock Brook - 3 miles south of Race Brook
    Laurel camping area - 0.5 miles south of Bear Rock Brook
    Sages Ravine camping area - 2 miles south of Laurel camping area and last water site in MA

Thanks everyone for your input! Will provide a water status report upon completion of the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Here are a number of water sites that are fairly dependable and should have water, though water quality may be questionable given the lack of recent rain and upstream livestock contamination, stagnation, or algae blooms that may impact some of these, filtering water which mitigates these issues however.

Hop Brook - 3 miles south of Merry Brook
    there is plenty of water in hop brook (i ran along it earlier today) but i would recommend against drinking from it for one of the reasons you stated - livestock contamination. lots of farms in the area, and it is a narrow valley that all drains into hop brook. for the same reason i would personally avoid the bridged stream crossings between main rd and jerusalem rd.

that said, in tyringham there is the spring along jerusalem rd as well as a trail stand selling beverages just a few feet off trail. i don't know when they will close up shop but they were still open today.

++ New Posts ++