It has been a while since I posted here. I usually post about the Wonderland Trail, but I thought I would share about my most recent experience. I just completed the Camino de Santiago, Portugal Way adventure with REI. It was a great experience.

I never use guides when hiking in the U.S., but when I hike in parts of the world where I don't know the local language, I have found that guides are worth the cost. The REI guides were great.

For those who are not familiar with the Camino de Santiago, it isn't a typical trail. There are many different routes with a common destination -- the tomb of Saint James. Historically, the Camino started at a person's home and ended at the Cathedral of Saint James. So, when two different people say that they walked the "Camino de Santiago" they may both be telling the truth but have walked entirely different routes.

The REI adventure combined some of the harder parts of three different Ways -- The Portugal Coastal Way, The Queen's Way, and The Portugal Central Way. We walked approximately 90 miles.

Each of the Ways is marked with with yellow painted arrows and with an occasional sea shell marker. Just as the AT has "Thru Hikers" and "Section Hikers" the Camino has the "Pilgrims" and the "hikers." The Pilgrims are comparable to the Thru Hikers. People, like my group, are there for the adventure.

If you have an interest in the Camino de Santiago, I recommend the REI version. I enjoyed it enough that I might do it again.