WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Summer Trail Recommendations for Educator

Hey Y'all, I'm interested in your input for summer section, or smaller thru hikes. I'm located in Southern Louisiana and while there are good hikes in the region, summer time is sweltering for hiking down here. Hell, even hiking 20-30 miles from Springer in June this past summer was too hot for my liking. I'm open to traveling anywhere in the US and know there are some good trails to see in my window of time.

I'm mostly a weekend warrior at this point (with a few opportunities for a 4-5 day trip during breaks) and will be devoting some time to training before summer 2020. I'm confident that we can assume I'll be doing 12-15 miles per day, on the safe side. I'm free from work between Memorial Day to August 1st and would be able to set aside a month for travel/hiking.

Please comment your recommendations for both sections of longer trails and smaller thrus.

All the best,
    -Sticks

The Colorado Trail is on my wish list. I'm planning to thru hike the AT in 2020 but I already have my sights set on Colorado! I would also like to hike the Oregon section of the PCT at some point. I'm in Ms and I understand about the heat!
    "I love the unimproved works of God" Horace Kephart 1862-1931

It's getting hard to beat the summer heat no matter where you go these days. But some places are still better then others.

Colorado is good, but later in the summer. Like late July. The elevation might be a problem initially. Takes a while to really acclimate to the thin air. And it's thin!

June to August is a good time to do the northern 3d of the AT. Start in NJ, which is a good warm up section.

The Long Trail in Vermont is a good July or August option.

There are a million other options near and far. So many trails, so little time...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Since I live in the Northwest, I'll recommend Glacier NP, anywhere in the Cascades, The Wallowas in eastern Oregon, and northern Idaho. If you want to deal with the permit issues, the Wonderland Trail is fabulous. And don't ignore the Canadian Rockies, for an extra polite option.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Since I live in the Northwest, I'll recommend Glacier NP, anywhere in the Cascades, The Wallowas in eastern Oregon, and northern Idaho. If you want to deal with the permit issues, the Wonderland Trail is fabulous. And don't ignore the Canadian Rockies, for an extra polite option.
    All of Feral Bill's suggestions are good. I would add the Coastal Trails in Olympic National Park and the Goat Rocks Wilderness.

Feral Bill mentioned the Wallows. That includes the Eagle Cap Wilderness -- one of the wildest areas in the U.S. A few years ago, I hiked back into the Eagle Cap Wilderness and saw areas with no human footprints anywhere.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    All of Feral Bill's suggestions are good. I would add the Coastal Trails in Olympic National Park and the Goat Rocks Wilderness.

Feral Bill mentioned the Wallows. That includes the Eagle Cap Wilderness -- one of the wildest areas in the U.S. A few years ago, I hiked back into the Eagle Cap Wilderness and saw areas with no human footprints anywhere.
    It's important to check trail conditions with the ranger district for Eagle Cap. I crossed hundreds of blow downs on my last trip there. I plan to go there again, though.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCF View Post
    The Colorado Trail is on my wish list. I'm planning to thru hike the AT in 2020 but I already have my sights set on Colorado! I would also like to hike the Oregon section of the PCT at some point. I'm in Ms and I understand about the heat!
    CO Trail sounds lovely! I'm going to check it out. I would love to get out to the Oregon and Washington parts of the PCT one day too. It's a shame I used to live in Eugene, OR but didn't have the time/$$ to make it happen...

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It's getting hard to beat the summer heat no matter where you go these days. But some places are still better then others.

Colorado is good, but later in the summer. Like late July. The elevation might be a problem initially. Takes a while to really acclimate to the thin air. And it's thin!

June to August is a good time to do the northern 3d of the AT. Start in NJ, which is a good warm up section.

The Long Trail in Vermont is a good July or August option.

There are a million other options near and far. So many trails, so little time...
    Elevation will be an issue for sure, coming from 6ft below sea level as my normal, heheh!

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    All great ideas!! Looking into them!

++ New Posts ++