WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking to do an October section hike of AT through the Smokies.

I am a 50 year old male that averages 13-15 a day. Whatever works between shelters.

I was planning to start on Sunday the 13th but can be flexible as long as it is after that. Hoping to avoid rain (last year got hurricane residual and it was no fun).

I have hiked alone before but my wife really wants me to have someone else there. Everyone I bring ends up quitting early,

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The Smokies will be full of leaf peeper thru October. So even if you have to hike solo, you'll still see people on the trail.
    So long as you are prepared for the possible weather conditions (rain, snow and possible freezing temperatures at higher elevations in October), the most dangers part of your solo hike will be the drive to the trail head.
    But if it will help your wife feel more comfortable, you could take your phone. There are many places along the AT thru the Smokies that you can get cell reception (at least I can with Verizon). That way you should be able to check in everyday.

Images

Are you telling or asking?
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Sorry, if I was unclear. I am seeing if there were any others that might be planning the same that I could maybe partner with or maybe plant a seed if someone might want to partner up but had not originally planned an October trip.

I have hiked in the fall the last three years and other than some dry spells and a single day of down pour rain have really enjoyed that time of year. I know the Smokies are a higher elevation but do not think that will be a big deal.

The wife is ultra paranoid and thinks I will break my ankle and sit there waiting on help. Told her that that is not a concern. However, I do agree that it is safer to have a partner that at least knows you are out there even if they are a few miles ahead/behind.

Thanks. I always bring my phone and try to text her from a mountain top a couple of times a day. I have even found that most shelters have enough signal to send a safe/sound text.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bugeye View Post
    The wife is ultra paranoid and thinks I will break my ankle and sit there waiting on help.
    That's a definite possibility. So what?
    So long as someone knows your itinerary and you stick to it, when you're over due, they call the park service, report you missing with your planned itinerary. The SAR team walks the trails, finds you and helps you out.
    However, long before you're over due, another hiker will likely pass by and be able to report your condition and location to authorities. Having a hiker partner along simply speeds up this part of the process.

Meanwhile, hiking partner or not, you're going to be stuck there for hours (or longer) with a broken ankle, hence the reason I always carry some pain relief medication in my 1st aid kit.

The only situation a hiking partner is going to help is if you fall off the side of a mountain or find a way to break your ankle while separated from your gear. In that situation, a partner can at least help you with your gear and ensure you stay warm and dry until help arrives.

Definitely interested. Would prefer a partner for that section myself. Have experience. Usually, do about 2.5 mph.
    Cosby shelter is closed, last time I looked, so last part would be a little tricky. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by hopetofinish View Post
    Definitely interested. Would prefer a partner for that section myself. Have experience. Usually, do about 2.5 mph.
    Cosby shelter is closed, last time I looked, so last part would be a little tricky. Let me know.
    Sent you an email

Images

There is being to be a little color in the highest elevations. Forecasters are predicting that peak color will be later this year due to heat. This weekend temperatures are supposed to be near record high. After a wet summer there has been little to no rain in September.

Cosby Knob shelter has reopened. Laurel Gap and campsite 37 remain closed.

Couldn't locate an email. Sent you a PM.

++ New Posts ++