WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Ideas for what to use to scoop water

I use an Evernew bag to collect water. With all this news about water being a bit scarce I am considering bringing something to scoop up water in my section in October. One thing I’ve thought of using is the top half of a milk jug. Anybody use something a little flatter that won’t take up as much space in a pack?

I don’t really want to spend $ on a Cnoc bag right now.

Use your pot. It takes zero pack space! And use your mosquito head net as a pre filter. Zero pack space again! Your welcome

Images

A small zip lock bag. It's small, light, and easy to mold to fit into tiny places. I've used one for years.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

This was the go-to scooper back in the 1970s---we all carried one.

Why we carried it is still a mystery---but it did look cool hanging off a belt and had a neato name---Sierra Cup---and fit on top of a stove if you wanted to boil up tea. Oh and scooped up water of course.

But beware---it burned the lips!!

Cut off the bottom 4" of a Smartwater bottle.

I've used my mug in the past but for something a bit more flexible, cut off the bottom portion of a water bottle; the same type you store your water in. You can slip the piece you'll use for pouring under your actual water bottle so it doesn't take up any other space. As for the weight, I haven't gotten to that level yet to worry about the few grams it would add

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Quote Originally Posted by tommaloney View Post
    I use an Evernew bag to collect water. With all this news about water being a bit scarce I am considering bringing something to scoop up water in my section in October. One thing I’ve thought of using is the top half of a milk jug. Anybody use something a little flatter that won’t take up as much space in a pack?

The bottom part of milk jug works just as well and give you little wash basin. And my cook pot fits in it so it really does not take up space.

I’ve used cook pots, mugs, ziplock baggies before to scoop. Milk jugs were too rigid.

Not exactly answering your question, but I always carry two plasic tubes, one 6mm Diameter and the other 8mm, to use as a straw or water drain on hidden springs.
    Started doing so on my desert hikes, but use it while hiking here in the Alps as well.

bottom 2-3 inches of a SOLO cup

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Panda View Post
    My goto collection device for many hiking days. When replaced, forgot to file the edges and it cut into the netting of the backpack.

Started using a ziplock bag after that incident and have not looked back. Surprisingly easy to use.

Journal Entries
    Images

I’ve cut two cheap plastic water bottles to use as a scoop and funnel. They’re sized to fit my Aquamira bottles inside when they nest together. I’ve also made a female-female connector using bottle caps with the centers drilled out (I know that you can buy one). I put a piece of screen between the caps to act as a filter for big floaters; I usually also prefilter with my bandana. The connector goes between the funnel and my Evernew dirty water bag. The funnel gives a larger target to scoop into. The funnel is flimsy enough to flatten against a trickle from a rock if I have to.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

I've used a hat in a pinch. There's always -something- in your gear that can serve the purpose.

I bring back memories ... The sierra cup was THE thing to carry into the back country. Of course in those days I was hiking is parts of the country that very few even considered the idea of filtration or treatment ... so we carried it on the belt and dipped out water whenever we were thirsty. I even have a more modern one that is titanium with a folding handle. BUT, I don't use any of them these days. But, thanks for the reminder.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    This was the go-to scooper back in the 1970s---we all carried one.

Why we carried it is still a mystery---but it did look cool hanging off a belt and had a neato name---Sierra Cup---and fit on top of a stove if you wanted to boil up tea. Oh and scooped up water of course.

But beware---it burned the lips!!

Sawyer Squeeze came with a few bags. I cut the smallest one, four inches up from the bottom, and use that bottom as a scoop. It weighs nothing. Is foldable. Keep it with the Squeeze inside, along with your Evernew bag.

L
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Panda View Post
    i use this also, plus I bring a large straw, or small thin walled pipe to divert water for easier collection.

I've used the back flush syringe for the Sawyer filter to suck up water from very shallow pools.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Default Mt. Dew

Quote Originally Posted by tommaloney View Post

Small Mountain Dew bottle, top third or so cut off. Works in all circumstances so far, as it's very pliable and can conform to odd shapes as needed sometimes in nearly-dry springs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I've used the back flush syringe for the Sawyer filter to suck up water from very shallow pools.
    I've thought about doing this, but couldn't it contaminate the syringe?

Journal Entries

Thanks for all this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++