WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fall colors : White Mountains

That didn't take long. We went from next to nothing to near peak in a week. This weekend will be a dazzler. Expect crowds if headed up this way. Even the "remote" locations are starting to get much busier then in the past.

Overcast with some passing drizzle today, but still some good views to be had from this popular day hike location on North Sugerloaf.

SAM_4877.jpg
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

slow it down! I have almost 2 weeks before I get there!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    slow it down! I have almost 2 weeks before I get there!
    One good tropical storm and it's all over

Some leaf's are starting to litter the path:

SAM_4883.jpg

Peak foliage in the northern Whites and along the AT in the Maine used to line up with the last week of September. We had a string of warm years and the peak shifted into the first and second week of October. This year seems to have shifted back a bit. Barring a heavy weather front coming through the leaves and color can last a couple of weeks.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I'm hoping we get some good color down here in VA in a few weeks. It's been so dang dry that a lot of the leaves are turning brown and just falling off. Usually when this happens the colors aren't very good.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

I've noticed what seems to be a fairly robust crop of acorns this year, which may be a localized phenomenon to Northwestern CT but deserves a mention. With just a scattering of leaves hiding these little ball bearings the footing can be treacherous. Foliage here appears to be on target with regard to peak foliage and is unlike the last few years when leaves browned and fell without much color.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    I've noticed what seems to be a fairly robust crop of acorns this year, which may be a localized phenomenon to Northwestern CT but deserves a mention. With just a scattering of leaves hiding these little ball bearings the footing can be treacherous. Foliage here appears to be on target with regard to peak foliage and is unlike the last few years when leaves browned and fell without much color.
    Same here is SE Connecticut....and our turkeys had 2 broods!

Old timer once told me that a heavy crop of acorns meant a long hard winter. Since I started watching this, it's always held true.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

same in mid CT with the acorns and the farmers almanac is calling for a long cold one this year. Last year was peak foliage first-second week of October thru 100 mile wilderness and when I got back to CT Oct. 23rd the colors were nice here then. Much earlier this year.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Old timer once told me that a heavy crop of acorns meant a long hard winter. Since I started watching this, it's always held true.
    https://blogs.massaudubon.org/yourgr...-those-acorns/
    Last year was a mast year for acorns in NH, I got buried. Just a standard winter.

I headed over to Evens Notch today and climbed Caribou Mountain. (I wasn't the only one to have that idea, but I started much later [11:30] and had the summit to myself). Not as much color as I expected over there. Looks like at least another week to really fill in around there. Started to rain a little a mile from the parking lot on the way out. Still, nice views:

DSCF3168.JPG

Today was Osceola and Osceola east peak. Here's a view from a vista along the way to the East peak. Colors are getting there. 32 degrees when I got up this morning. Fall is ramping up.
    DSCF3188.JPG

Hope they still around end of this week. Have never been there with peak foliage. Always too early.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    Hope they still around end of this week. Have never been there with peak foliage. Always too early.
    \

Good chance, a lot of leaves are still to change. Some areas are more advanced then others.

A bit of rain coming this week, every day but Thursday, which might have an impact but Sat/Sun looking good at the moment. Starting to get chilly at night, which helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    \

Good chance, a lot of leaves are still to change. Some areas are more advanced then others.

A bit of rain coming this week, every day but Thursday, which might have an impact but Sat/Sun looking good at the moment. Starting to get chilly at night, which helps.
    Sounds good. Looks like I'll need to bring my warm quilt this weekend. Franconia low predicted to be 29°F, so I'm thinking mid 20's at a little higher elevation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    Sounds good. Looks like I'll need to bring my warm quilt this weekend. Franconia low predicted to be 29°F, so I'm thinking mid 20's at a little higher elevation.
    rule of thumb, subtract 3 degrees per 1000 feet of elevation.

My daughter did a presidential traverse a week ago Monday, so I was up in the area to drive her back to her car. (I just hiked up and down Pierce.) I saw one moose/car collision in Twin Mountain, and narrowly avoided hitting two moose myself a bit later by the Jefferson Highlands. Enjoy the leaf peeping but slow down at and after dusk. It was at 9:30 and dark as can be when I had to slam the brakes and swerve. Stupid late night Moose.

9:30 is late night? What are you? Old?

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    9:30 is late night? What are you? Old?

source.gif

I was thinking of late night for the Moose... I was thinking they were more a dusk and dawn concern and they should have the courtesy to get off the roads by true dark; but in hindsight, that's the best time for viewing the moose. The best time for colliding with moose is apparently a bit later than dusk... also, it's not like there's a single restaurant open past 10:00 pm up there.

It's also possible that with the five hours of driving and the short hike, I was kind of wiped out by the time I got home... but I'm still young!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++