WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

Default Roan Mountain Water Report

I just finished a hike from Hughes Gap to Highway 19-E over Roan Mountain. Here is a water report of the the sources that I personally observed between September 19-21.

Roan High Knob parking lot (Cloudland Hotel site): Restooms are open and the water fountain is on. Restrooms and water fountain will be shut off on 9/30 per the US Forest Service.

Roan High Knob Shelter: The piped spring is not flowing. Near the pipe is a clear pool of water where you could get a liter or two of water by dipping a few ounces at a time.

Carvers Gap spring: Pipe not flowing. Dry.

Piped spring just north of Grassy Ridge Trail intersection: Flowing. It took 45 seconds to fill a liter.

Stan Murray Shelter: Not flowing. Just drip, drip, drip.

Overmountain Shelter: Flowing well. It took 15 seconds to fill a liter. (People seem to be obeying the shelter closure but it wasn't raining.)

Piped spring before Bradley Gap: Not flowing. Just drip, drip, drip.

Doll Flats spring: Flowing. It took 2 minutes 15 seconds to fill a liter.

Thank you...doing Carvers to Kincora starting Nov 1

Journal Entries

Thanks for this. Coming up there to do a section in a week. It's not like it's the desert or something. It would sure be nice if the temps would moderate some.

Just a side note about the water source at Overmountain.

The black piped spring visible from the blue blazed trail going to the shelter is NOT flowing.

However, if you take the blue blaze trail downhill or the FS road about 60 yards to the right is another white pipe that IS flowing well.

Everyone at the shelter told me there was no water there and it took me all of 90 seconds to find a flowing source. Clearly they didnt even try to look. Dont be lazy folks

++ New Posts ++