WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Anyone try the HMG junction?

After my 130 mile CT section hike with the pup from Durango to Spring creek pass last month I realized the mld burn is getting pushed beyond its comfort level esp with cold weather gear, 4+ days food for both and longer water carries. Thinking about picking up a 55l 3400 junction for those trips where I’m hauling more weight and or volume. Assuming they will have a good Black Friday sale might be a good time to pick up one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the 2400 in black. So far so good. I’m packing essentially my 3-season kit and 2 days of food. There seems to be room for a warmer quilt and heavier puffy. Total weight so far with food and water (1.5 liters) is around 22. It’s comfortable at that weight. I’ll likely use it for my next section from Stratton to Katahdin next summer.

Adventure Alan just finished (i.e., yesterday) a 5-day section hike of Shenandoah, carrying the Junction 3400. I'd wager he's going to do a full review at some point, but if you have specific questions, you could ask him directly and he might (or might not) answer.

Funny I asked him on IG few days ago...it’s on my list for Black Friday....b day present to myself

I used mine for a second time this past weekend. I packed my 0 degree quilt to see how well things continued to fit. I still have no issues with the amount of volume in a 2400. The only issues I have with the pack so far are that the side pockets could have been made just a tad roomier, and the side compression straps and compression straps for the side pockets have no tab at the end to keep them from slipping out of the buckle when you loosen them. Otherwise I've been happy with it so far. But of course I'm not Adventure Alan, so what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm View Post
    I used mine for a second time this past weekend. I packed my 0 degree quilt to see how well things continued to fit. I still have no issues with the amount of volume in a 2400. The only issues I have with the pack so far are that the side pockets could have been made just a tad roomier, and the side compression straps and compression straps for the side pockets have no tab at the end to keep them from slipping out of the buckle when you loosen them. Otherwise I've been happy with it so far. But of course I'm not Adventure Alan, so what do I know?
    Thx...3400 is my choice as already have a 38l burn and want something for next fall Sierra trip where the bear can will fit easier...i end up hauling some of my 13 yr old and dogs winter stuff as well...on sale for Black Friday so what the hell....

I’ve been getting HMG emails almost daily for a month or so. Like REI & Moosejaw they may be getting ahead of the big retailers.
    Check them out now.
    In the meantime, ULA is still making nice packs at very reasonable prices.
    Wayne

Still love my 2400 Junction. Was able to fit a 0 degree top quilt, 20 degree underquilt, hammock, tarp, 2 days of food, camp clothes, 2 liters of water, and ditty bag and it was both comfortable and everything fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I’ve been getting HMG emails almost daily for a month or so. Like REI & Moosejaw they may be getting ahead of the big retailers.
    Check them out now.
    In the meantime, ULA is still making nice packs at very reasonable prices.
    Wayne
    Looks like early Black Friday to me.
    From the HMG website a minute ago:

“3400 JUNCTION
    Sale: $270.00”

Wayne

7:44pm CST 22 November.
    Junction price still $270 w/free shipping.
    Wayne

Received the 3400 junction....very impressed with craftsmanship! Holy ship is the extension collar huge..can’t imagine why or how you could fill this pack. Tipi included! Seems waaaay bigger than 55l.....looking forward to trying out this winter.

Any pack experts out there? I’m between sizes with this pack. Debating on dropping to a medium from large as doesn’t really sit on top of shoulders/traps but mainly frontIMG_5126.jpg....read a few reviews that recommended sizing up due to collapse with heavier loads.... so lil confused...I can’t see ever hauling more than 25-30 lbs even with both quilts and bear can...excuse the awkward selfie

I'm in the same boat. My spine is exactly 19", right between the medium and the large. The hip belt on the medium is too high, and the shoulder straps don't sit on my shoulders with the large. There really ought to be some overlap in the sizing.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic View Post
    I'm in the same boat. My spine is exactly 19", right between the medium and the large. The hip belt on the medium is too high, and the shoulder straps don't sit on my shoulders with the large. There really ought to be some overlap in the sizing.
    From what I’ve read it’s better to upsize anyway as in time pack will sag with load, seems very comfortable so far just wearing at house. With any framed pack you want most weight on hips anyway so should be about right, unfortunately only way to find out is to USE it and find out but then it’s not returnable...I got good price so I’m sure I could resell if need be.

From what I’ve read it’s better to upsize anyway as in time pack will sag with load, seems very comfortable so far just wearing at house. With any framed pack you want most weight on hips anyway so should be about right, unfortunately only way to find out is to USE it and find out but then it’s not returnable...I got good price so I’m sure I could resell if need be.

I have a 19 1/2 inch spine. I tried on the large at REI & it seems to fit will. No weight in the pack. This was a 2400.

++ New Posts ++