WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hammock under quilt as top quilt?

I have recently converted from hammocking to ultralightweight tenting. I would like to use my hammock's underquilt as my top quilt now. It has no footbox though. It's rated for 20 degrees and the temps for my upcoming hike probably won't dip below mid-30's. Also, it's super lightweight compared to my normal 40 degree sleeping bag.

Is this a disaster-in-the-making or a good idea?
    Last edited by beaudetious; 10-03-2019 at 13:10.

Quote Originally Posted by beaudetious View Post
    I have recently converted from hammocking to ultralightweight tenting. I would like to use my hammock's underquilt as my top quilt now. It has no footbox though. It's rated for 20 degrees and the temps for my upcoming hike probably won't dip below mid-30's. Also, it's super lightweight compared to my normal 40 degree sleeping bag.

You'll most likely be fine and I'm sure you'll be able to fashion a footbox of sorts by tightening the suspension a bit at the foot end of the underquilt. I don't think it will be a disaster, just not ideal. Might get a tad drafty if you move a lot in your sleep.

I've got some down booties and I just won't plan on sleeping butt nekkid. Thanks for the reassurance. I just don't want to be days into my hike and suffering for a stupid decision to cut weight.

Quote Originally Posted by beaudetious View Post
    I've got some down booties and I just won't plan on sleeping butt nekkid. Thanks for the reassurance. I just don't want to be days into my hike and suffering for a stupid decision to cut weight.
    Are you going to remove the suspension? I imagine you'd drop some ounces. One thing to think about, will it be long enough, wide enough? Test at home. If you have or have access to a Kam Snap a few additions would make a very quick footbox and barely add any weight to the UQ. This isn't a link to doing it per se, but a link to the whole Kam Snap thing in general. Maybe that last video at the bottom would be helpful. https://kamsnaps.com/blogs/news/kam-...ock-underquilt

I’ve used my under quilt as a blanket plenty of times, it’s narrow but I stuck my feet in my coat. Definitely want to remove that suspension

You might want to go out to Hammock Gear and check out their line of duck down quilts which are reasonably priced and sell your underquilt on Hammock Forums or Ebay.I doubt your underquilt is going to be wide enough for use as a topquilt so you definitely want to test it before you go.

Images

only one way to find out really.......

My underquilts have never have the right shape to suffice as a TQ

Ive thought about using an UQ to supplement my TQ in a ground set-up in cold weather though

I use my simple DIY UQ as a top quilt when I ‘go to ground’. I tighten the foot suspension to improvise a foot box. Works well enough down to just above freezing. (I sometimes carry a short blue-foamy as the sleeping pad. It becomes a circular lining inside my backpack.

++ New Posts ++