WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water on the long ridge north of Pearisburg for September 2019?

Hi all
    I am planning a section hike during the first weekend in October between Pearisburg and Rt. 42 (Most likely northbound for about 40 miles. I am curious to know the situation with the water on the stretch of mountain ridge between Pearisburg and Pine Swamp Branch Shelter. After reading some threads, I realize there are a just a few water sources near Rice Field shelter and a possible pond/swamp near Symms Gap, but it seems like these aren't always reliable this time of year. I have no problem hauling extra water, but obviously some intel on water here would make things easier!

Anyone been on this section recently that could give updates on the water situation? It's been super dry up in PA this summer, so I'm assuming it's been the same in SW Virginia. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks
    Greyimp7

Can't say about that section for sure, but it has been the driest September on record for norther Virginia. Some places still have water, but it is a trickle compared to normal. I am thinking of doing Damscus to Pearisburg in mid October and have similar concerns. I regularly hike in the Shenandoah (about once per week) and there is still water in most of the streams, just very low flow. Any springs listed as intermitent are probably dry.

Responding to my own post...
    Just finished the 40 mile section hike, Northbound from Pearisburg to VA 630 (a little beyond rt. 42). Here is the water situation as of 10/6/19:

Springs and streams on the way up to Rice Field Shelter from Pearisburg were all dry. There was a tiny mud puddle dripping from a pipe spring about .5 miles south of Rice Field. It was enough for my dog, but a person would need a straw for that one.

The campsite/spring 1.5 miles north of Rice Field was an even smaller mud puddle. And there was a bees nest developing in the dry pipe. Don't rely on it unless they get some significant rain this week.

The stream just South of Pine Swamp shelter (as you get down from the ridge) was flowing pretty well. Clean, cool water which was glorious after walking the long ridge. NOBO from there all the way to Rt. 42 had some dry springs, but plenty of good water near Bailey Gap, War Spur, and Laurel Creek shelters.

So if you are hiking the Peters Mountain Ridge, haul as much water as you can from Pearisburg going North or if SOBO, load up just south of Pine Swamp Branch. I had like 3.5 liters as it was very dry and warm up there. But we cowboy camped at beautiful Symms Gap, conserved, and made it through that stretch, dog and me unscathed!

++ New Posts ++