WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Waterton Canyon Still Open to Thru Hikers?

All,

Depending on the pandemic situation, planning on a small group of us starting from Waterton
    Canyon on 20 July 2020. We will have an Uber drop us off. Is this particular trail head still open
    to thru hikers?

Happy trails,

LoneStar

Images

Nope, closed currently, to everyone (it is very popular to hikers, fishermen, bikers, runners, etc). And it's REALLY physically closed, big fence with gate, locked tight.

No biggie, there are two alternatives, the Roxborough State Park approach and the Indian Creek trailhead.

Roxborough is a couple miles longer than Indian Creek, but is gorgeous, and a shorter drive.

Let me know if you need details, but basically just wait and see if waterton opens before your July 20 start.

Rob,

Thank you so much for the quick response. I will keep checking on the status of Waterton Canyon and use an alternative if needed.
    I am guessing we can just as easily Uber to Indian Creek from around DIA.

Thank you,
    LoneStar

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerj53 View Post
    Rob,

Thank you so much for the quick response. I will keep checking on the status of Waterton Canyon and use an alternative if needed.
    I am guessing we can just as easily Uber to Indian Creek from around DIA.

Thank you,
    LoneStar
    For your Uber, if needed, I would use the phrase "Indian Creek Campground" and make sure the route goes via. Sedalia. If you just google "DIA to Indian Creek" the resulting route uses, er, Waterton Canyon! Waterton Canyon IS a road, after all, google doesn't realize I suppose that it does not allow traffic, other than official Strontia Dam traffic.

How are the services further down the trail at this time? Any chatter about things opening up anytime soon in CO? Thanks

Images

Quote Originally Posted by GooseMan View Post
    How are the services further down the trail at this time? Any chatter about things opening up anytime soon in CO? Thanks
    Good question.... there are a bunch of counties that still have "stay out" orders for non-residents (of the county), but the first two along the trail, chaffee and gunnison counties I think are "open" by June 1. Not sure about San Juan county, stay tuned....

Not that it means a whole lot at this time, but deaths and new CV19 hospitalizations are way down in the last week or two, lets just see what the next couple/few weeks brings.

I plan on starting the first of August, so really appreciate the information. Thanks!

++ New Posts ++