WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Ankle bursitis

GAME 06

Default Ankle bursitis

Ok I am getting a bit old for sure, but this is a new one for me.

I am occasionally getting ankle bursitis in my left ankle the last 8 months or so. I must admit I did not even know you could get bursitis in the ankle. It is coming and going and most of the time when I get it it hurts, but is not debilitating. Occasionally, however, it is bad enough that running is impossible and walking more than a few miles is really painful.

Has anyone else had this? And if so what seemed to help improve the situation.

btw I have hiked exclusively in Altra Lone Peaks and Olympus for about 3-4 years. When I run I use top of the line Nike running shoes chosen for maximum cushioning.

Bursitis is an inflammatory condition. Find and fix the cause of the inflammation. Often it's diet... Do you eat processed foods?

Default Ankle bursitis

Nike running shoes for trainers are not the best. I would try Brooks, Asics,New Balance, or Saucony. Ninke has great racing shoes but their trainers are average at best. Go to a running store and have them check your foot and
    your running gait and get into a shoe that is made for mileage not made for making money. I am a former college track and cross country coach but take it for what it is worth to you. God bless and I hope I didn't offend.

GAME 06

dring That sounds like good advise. For now I am just not running at all. The first time this happened was when I got up the day after a long run and could not walk without limping.

I am thinking that the zero drop of the Altra's may be catching up to me. The latest flare up came after a day hiking a long uphill. With the zero drop there is a lot more need for ankle flexibility (Flexibility be an issue for us old guys) and thus the need to always be physically recovering from that extra stress. I am old now and have about 30,000 miles of hiking in as well as two broken ankles and uncountable rolled/twisted ankles (like most hikers) so perhaps I am no longer able to recover from that daily recovery requirement from the zero drop design. I have always noticed how many hikers get lower leg injuries when they switch to Altra's and don't take the time to adapt to them. So the added stress from the impact of running and/or the stress of hiking in zero drop shoes perhaps.

I think I will spend a few weeks only hiking in the Nikes (may as well use them up too) to see how I feel.

Journal Entries

Sure it isn't gout? My ankles used to swell up and be painful until I was put on gout meds. Check with your doctor.

GAME 06

So a bit of data on this weird issue of mine.

For the last 10 days I have only been wearing my Nikes for everything. As I took those 10 days off from my volunteer job as well I also have not worn the tactical boots I wear there. So the ankle has been much better and I hiked 10 miles yesterday with no pain today and I have hiked about 65 miles during the 10 days. So progress, but now I have to think about whether it is the tactical boots and not the Altras as I, for some reason (Alzheimers perhaps), I had failed to take into account the boots might be the problem. Hmm. More experimenting to do.

My personal experience is, that all problems I ever had with my feet came from the shoes.
    Not necessarily from bad shoes/boots, but many times just from a change of shoes from one type to another one, like, from leather boots to industry safety shoes - and wearing them for whole days.
    Feet seem to adjust to a new type of shoe/boot over time, but time to get used to them seems to be crucial.

++ New Posts ++