WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Uber availability

Anyone have experience with Uber availability around Bear Mtn. Bridge, NY?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uber for what purpose?

For public transportation to NYC, the Short Line Bus operates between the Port Authority terminal in NYC and Bear Mountain thrice daily. Alternatively, the Manitou train station on the Metro North Hudson line is two miles up Route 90 past the bridge, or 1.3 miles off of the AT from the S Mountain Pass Rd crossing.

For shuttle purposes.

Uber/Lyft don't work well in the suburbs, and unfortunately the area around Bear Mountain isn't well served by local taxi services. You may be able to get a taxi from Peekskill to come and pick you up, and it's definitely worth a shot; but it might be cheaper and/or easier to take the train from Manitou one stop south to Peekskill. The river towns usually have local taxis waiting to meet the trains at the train station if you want a ride around town, but it's worth calling ahead to arrange a pickup if you want one. Peekskill has a CTown (supermarket) and Walgreens about a mile from the train station. After your resupply, the local taxi services are more likely to give you a ride from Peekskill back to the trail than vice versa. Either way, don't expect the fare to be cheap.

https://goo.gl/maps/dDCh94ewPDeQUnz47

So we arrived at Bear Mtn Inn at 7:45 am on Sunday (today) and picked up an Uber in short order. Two drivers cancelled on us right off the bat but we got the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
    So we arrived at Bear Mtn Inn at 7:45 am on Sunday (today) and picked up an Uber in short order. Two drivers cancelled on us right off the bat but we got the ride.

I have had some not great experience with canceled ubers for the purpose of hiking trips.

I have also had some great experiences.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Glad it worked out for you; that has not been my experience with the ride sharing services outside of the city.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

A cancelled Uber trip while hiking might mean a lot more hiking.

As I'll be up near Bear Mtn. for a work trip I was hoping to just squeeze in a day hike and use an Uber to get back to my vehicle. How is cell service north of Anthony's / Peekskill?
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    A cancelled Uber trip while hiking might mean a lot more hiking.

As I'll be up near Bear Mtn. for a work trip I was hoping to just squeeze in a day hike and use an Uber to get back to my vehicle. How is cell service north of Anthony's / Peekskill?
    In that case it might make more sense to follow the rule often suggested for shuttles - park where you plan to end your hike and then get the Uber to the start point. That way you know up front if there is an issue getting the ride.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Agreed. I'll park & start @ Bear Mtn Inn....
    Be Prepared

++ New Posts ++