WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Pinedale

Default Pinedale

I work for the Visitor's Center here in Pinedale and I spend most of my summer in the Winds hiking and climbing. Our town is wanting to become the favorite stop on the CDT trail. The Visitor's Center is putting together gift bags and want to know what you would like to have in them? Also what conveniences in town would be great to have available? One idea we had was a shuttle that made a trip to Elkhart Trailhead once a day to bring people up and take people down to town.

Garlic
    Images

That's a great thing. I stopped in Pinedale on my CDT hike in 2007, so it's been a while and things may have changed since then. I thought Pinedale was one of the better trail towns just as it was. The trailhead was busy enough that I didn't have a problem hitching a ride, but a shuttle would be a bonus.

I didn't have a cell phone, but if there's cell service there, a list of shuttlers (volunteer or fee) to call would be nice.

I think most hikers already have some kind of town guide, but if there are any recent update or new services, it would be good to know.

Current trail, water and weather reports would be nice to see.

Maybe maps for fire closures, alternate routes, etc.

Many thru-hikers don't need to carry more stuff, so a gift bag, unless it were all consumables, wouldn't be on my list. I don't think anyone would carry a souvenir cup or key chain, for instance.

One of my favorite stops on the CDT was Leadore, ID, where an ice cream shop served free shakes to the first few dozen hikers to check in. I found out later it was funded by previous years' hikers. I thought that was a real nice service. If it were more organized I would have donated to the next year's cause.

Thanks for doing this.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

As mentioned hikers don't need items but discount coupons for restaurants, microbreweries etc. would be welcome. Perhaps a coupon for a free shower at your rec center. A map with current information for campgrounds, hotels, restaurants, PO, library, laundromats (and hotels that have facilities), showers etc. The most popular guidebook with town info is often outdated and as you are the visitor center this info should be spot on. Getting into towns, especially from major trailhead, isn't usually a problem but knowing that there is a scheduled shuttle back to the trailhead would be a very welcomed service (and obviously this would give another option to get into town). Rather than having a central pickup point for the shuttle back to TH have it make a circuit by the hotels/campground.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

My thought on gift bags was going to be local info, coupons, maybe some food/snacks, and things like tooth brush and sample size of toothpaste, hotel sized shampoo and soap, laundry pods, things like that. Would it be useful?

Yea, I was thinking a coupon for a free beer or burger. There's a resturant in Johnson, VT which gives Long Trail hikers a free draft Switchback to get you started.

Years ago the town of Palmerton, PA had gift bags for hikers who checked into the town jail (made by the local girl scout troop).

I remember the zip lock bag contained a gronola bar, a stamped postcard of the town hall, a $5 phone calling card, and a toothbursh on which "Keep hiking" was imprinted on the handle (a hint to get out of town maybe?). I still have the toothbrush
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I made my third trip in the Winds in August this year (Cirque de Towers) Awesome! Every trip to the Winds begins and ends with a stop at the Wind River Brewing Company in Pinedale for burgers and beers. Also awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by dukeedwards View Post
    My thought on gift bags was going to be local info, coupons, maybe some food/snacks, and things like tooth brush and sample size of toothpaste, hotel sized shampoo and soap, laundry pods, things like that. Would it be useful?

To add. This. First load of laundry free or free drink with a burger coupon. For snacks keep it a packet of nut butter or dried fruit.

That's really cool of you to do. Honestly one of the best things to have is the inside scoop on all the lodging in town with accurate prices and what's included. A free load of laundry is amazing but someone might screw that up on ya. Nothing gets hikers to spend money at the local eatery by offering a complementary pint. For snacks, keep it really simple.. like a massive bin of small bags of fruit snacks or something. You don't have to or want to try and feed a thru hiker lol. Also.. prepaid post cards are a hit with hikers

++ New Posts ++