WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default durability of altra lone peak 4,0

My favorite trail shoe is the non waterproof altra lone peak 3.0. I couldn't get a good fit in the 3.5. I have a new pair of 4.0, which feel great, but the fabric and construction seem to differ significantly from the 3.0. I've got about 50 miles on them and they seem OK. However, on the some websites the reviews have a number of reports of premature failure, including delamination. In planning for a through hike in 2020 I'd like to pick up an extra pair, but I'm unsure about this. Any comments on 300-500 mile durability for the 4.0?
    thank you

I'm at about mile 150 on mine and both of the toe guards have detached about a quarter to half inch at the top. Disappointing. Hoping I can reglue them. Tread doing fine.

I have over 300 on a pair and have the same detachment of the toe from the upper as Pastor Byron, about 1/4"-1/2". All my other 500+ mile LP 3.5s did the same, and didn't get worse. I wish it didn't, but I'm not going to stop wearing them because of it.

I burned through a pair around every 500 miles last year, so I'd plan to go through several pairs of these on an AT trip anyway.

That's about the trail milage backpacking I was getting on Altra Olympus', possibly up to 700 miles. Altra LP's are low wt trail runners with corresponding shorter lifespans.

I did not expect it but I've gotten surprisingly good mileage with them, about 400 miles and am shocked that the uppers and tread are still in great shape. BUT, same experience with the glued toe bumpers peeling away, although after re-gluing them with THIS they've been fine. They really should use a rand molded into the tread for the toe area.

Leonidas

Multiple people reported 100 miles or less before the cushioning was shot in the 4.0. Multiple thru hikers had sub 300 mile failures with the 4.0 as well. This was from YouTube and Reddit information but I have seen/heard limited reports of the 4.0 lasting. As we all should know, it may be the majority of users haven't had issues and as such, no one has seen those reviews. Just something to consider.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I've used Lone Peaks since the first version and the toe bumper issue is constant.
    Now when I get a new pair, I put epoxy on the seam to hold the bumper in place before I start using the shoe. Works well most of the time.

As for version 4, I have pair, but haven't used them yet, they will be my next trail runners.
    I do have a pair of the high top waterproof 4s, but only about 100 miles on them- no issues so far.

I have been running in Altra's for about 5 years now, mainly Superior, LP's, and Timps. There are things about each model and each version I like and dislike, but the one constant thing I have recognized is, I get between 300 and 400 miles out of them before I notice some of the shoe starts to break down. I'm fine with that sort of consistency, considering the abuse. I consider Altra a good, all around trail running shoe and not a bad option for a hiking shoe.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

GAME 06

I have been using Altras for 4 years or so. Many pairs. The slight delamination on the toe guards has been a constant. It is clear at this point that Altra does not think this is an issue which needs real attention. I pretty much agree as it seems to stop on its own and a tiny bit of shoe goo when it starts fixes it forever in my experience.

How long a shoe is going to last for you is unanswerable by us. It depends on your weight, if you run as well as walk, the weight of your pack, the terrain (amount of small rocks is key), how often you get them soaked, trail tread temperature while hiking, and the mechanics of your stride (some have soft feet and put less impact and stress on their shoes and others sound like buffalo coming down the trail).

All that being said it is highly unlikely that anyone gets more than 500 miles out of the shoe before it is worn out. Note that emphasis - if you are walking on one of these shoes at 700 miles you are just walking on a worn out shoe and it did not really last 700 miles. But maybe your feet are that tough and it works for you. Others will get hurt. If you are on one of the really rocky desert trails getting more than 400 out of a trail runner before it is shot is unlikely (some get well under that).

You did not say which trail you were going to thru hike on but I will assume you meant the AT since this is mostly an AT site. For the AT 2 pair as you indicated will simply not be enough pairs. Best estimate is trying to make the whole trail on 4 pair of Altra's. But that does not mean you should buy them all ahead of time either. If you have hiked in a model of shoe sufficiently to be certain that it is a great shoe for you then starting a thru with a spare pair at home which can be mailed to you is plenty. You can always order the 3rd pair after you receive the 2nd pair and have them sitting at home in reserve. I suggest doing it this way to keep control of expenses. Many people invest huge amounts of money into a hike and then end up for various reasons bailing on the hike with a lot of sunk costs.

They’re on sale at rei now, which is why I was thinking of picking up what would be one of several more pairs needed for the at next year. From what I’m reading here I’ll go ahead,as I’m expecting at most 500 miles from any shoe, as you recommend. I do like the idea of pretreating the front pad. I was concerned that sale prices might indicate that a corrected 4.0 might be on the way. I’ve gotten 500+ miles on several pairs of 3.0 without the delamination issue, and comfort wise a ‘sized up’ pair of lone peaks is a perfect fit for me (except for the 3.5, which I had to return). The 4.0 seems better already on rocky terrain.

Leonidas

I pretreated the toe tab on my 3.0s with a bead of super glue and it lasted 400 miles before it finally peeled.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I just bought a pair at REI tonight. On sale for $85.

Topo Runventure work well for me on sale $64. Yes they are clown shoes like Altras .

thom

Mine started separating at under 20 miles.I have a hiking partner who experienced it at around 5 miles!I put some flowable silicone on mine,looks like the home made repair that it is.Altra can think what they won't but they will never sell me another pair.If a shoe manufacturer can't make a shoe without the toe guards separating,they need to hang it up.BTW,I have gone to Salomon wide which perform flawlessly.

++ New Posts ++