WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I'll second the use of the sit pad under the hip. I use the sit pad initially in my vestibule, so I can kneel as I enter my tent, and keep the inside of the tent clean. I use a standard Klymit green inflatable, if I find my hip is digging into the cold ground, I'll grab that sit pad, knock any loose dirt off it, and stuff it under. I've also been known to use spare clothing underneath the air mattress to level one side of the mattress when I had to pitch on a slight incline, this also helps with the cold.

I've also found that the more I hike, the more weight I lose, the less my acid reflux acts up, and the more sleep positions I'm capable of sleeping in. Especially after a 10 hour day of hiking. I found testing sleep pads on the living room floor at home to be pointless. After a non hiking day, I'm not nearly tired enough to fall asleep on a thin little mattress. Works fine on the trail of course.

You have listed pretty much all the reasons why I switched to a hammock
    Happy hiking, I’m going up to Ethan’s Pond in a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by IGY6 View Post
    My wife uses a klymit insulated static v. It has slight inflatable rails help keep you in place. She loves it, r value 4.4, $50 worth a try.
    i have this pad,i'm 6' 190lbs, sleep on my side, stomach & back. it works fine for me. if you don't mind a little extra weight it's a decent pad.

Another vote for trying out the Thermarest NeoAir Xlite .
    I started with a Ridgerest CCF pad, doubled (using the short one) for the chest shoulder area. Too firm, couldn't sleep.
    Went to a Thermarest Prolite Plus (1.5" thick) and slept better, but still tossed and turned every night on it.
    Went to a NeoAir Xlite, and have had the best sleep yet. Toss and turn WAY less. As others have said, don't blow it up firm; leave it slightly soft, just enough to keep your hips and shoulders off the ground when you are on your side.
    Putting it on top of a ccf pad is not a bad idea, just in case you lose air overnight, you won't wake up hypothermic.

I am a side sleeper and typically my issue is padding for my hip. Wife was sick last week so I self quarantined myself to the floor in the living room. Experimented with my Z-Lite and found a solution for my hip. By putting an extra Z fold in the middle of the pad I got a triple layer of padding at my hips. Worked out well and stayed in place even when I flip flopped. Didn't need insulation for my lower legs in the house and I am okay with my shoulders when side sleeping.

ZLite.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyslayer View Post
    I am a side sleeper and typically my issue is padding for my hip. Wife was sick last week so I self quarantined myself to the floor in the living room. Experimented with my Z-Lite and found a solution for my hip. By putting an extra Z fold in the middle of the pad I got a triple layer of padding at my hips. Worked out well and stayed in place even when I flip flopped. Didn't need insulation for my lower legs in the house and I am okay with my shoulders when side sleeping.

ZLite.jpg
    Brilliant!!!

I've found I really dislike the thicker pads, tried a NeoAir Xlite, UberLite...really didn't like them.
    The uberlite would slide around on the floor of my duplex like no ones business, human air hockey...

Found I like pads that are 1-1.5" and the Thermarest Prolite in short is great for me.
    I wish thermarest made it as a thin inflatable instead of self inflate so it'd be lighter, but it is what it is and I fall asleep quickly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++