WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

GAME 06

Default Another cautionary tale - broken leg

An experienced Australian hiker crawled for two agonizing days, carrying his broken leg, to find help after falling down a waterfall during a solo mountain hike.Neil Parker, 54, was hiking on Mount Nebo, northwest of Brisbane, on Sunday when he tumbled six meters from the top of a waterfall, fracturing his leg and wrist.
    Parker splinted his shattered leg with hiking sticks before crawling for two days to find a clearing, where he hoped he would be spotted by emergency services.
    Another interesting tale from which lessons can be learned.

He would have appreciated having those oxy tablets I carry in my first aid kit Or a SPOT perhaps. But good on him for not giving up.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/18/austr...hnk/index.html

lol, now I have to caution you on mentioning that you carry oxy tabs in your kit. don't let that slip while in TN. :0

I carry Percoset from old surgeries in my kit just for this potential.

Exactly why I don’t climb around waterfalls.

Playing around waterfalls especially at the top is a big no no no. It happens nearly every yr someone dies in Hawaii from falling/being swept over a waterfall.

GAME 06

Quote Originally Posted by PatmanTN View Post
    lol, now I have to caution you on mentioning that you carry oxy tabs in your kit. don't let that slip while in TN. :0
    I have a prescription. I broke 4 vertebrae in an accident some years ago and have 2 ruptured discs still. On occasion when hiking they hurt like crazy - they are not fond of backpacks full of water.

Images

Because my wife always carries Vicodin on our hikes and climbs, I was able to walk out of a nasty situation where I broke a couple of ribs. We were near 14,000 feet on Pikes Peak in December, 4pm, easy walk down, though very long (13 miles down), I slipped on ice went down like a sack of potatoes. Ever break a couple ribs? I couldn't walk. The Vicodin rapidly cured that. I might have had to get evac'd if not for her carrying that stuff. Now I always do too.

Is Vicodin an "oxy"? I don't know my heavy drugs very well.

Oxycodone is not in Vicodin, that's hydrocodone, both opiates that are currently highly regulated by the DEA

++ New Posts ++