WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default House prices in Damascus?

LW,

How's the market? What would a small house, say 1200 square feet, go for in your estimation?

Hmmmm......

Am I the only one here who finds the thought of Wolf and Lobster being neighbors more than a little amusing?

Kinda like the thought of Kirk and Shanky moving to Hanover, with Warren, Wook, and Teej arriving the next weekend.

Damn, seems like a good time to be back in the woods!

Hmmm....maybe damascus would be a nice place to set down some roots...anything for sale on your block, wolf?
    Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hatred. And hatred leads to the dark side.

Images

LW, are you a realtor now?

www.realtor.com has a great search engine.

Looks like the most expensive house currently for sale in Damascus is $410K - 2300 sq. ft. with 23 acres. The lower end is low indeed, there are houses there for $59K that don't look horrible.
    Jaywalke
    SW Virginia

I plan on moving there soon, but first I need a promise from Jack that he won't move within a mile radius and devalue my home!

Damascus is probably one of the coolest towns on the trail to live in (based on my experience not living there...). By the way, speaking of buying property, what part of the VA AT is the longest distance from any hostels?

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

Damascus living isn't so bad. You can get an acre of land around there for under 20k. You can have a palatial log home built on the cheap. Yes, I've researched it...I'm gonna buy some land near the trail in the Roanoke area and build a cabin.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Images

We stopped and picked up a brochure on a nice house on the highway into town. It was an older, two story house across the road from the Creeper Trail and was $189,000, if I remember correctly. I didn't see anything under $100,000 available.

Bfitz:

Good question.

With the closing of Four Pines, if I was gonna put a hostel anywhere on the AT in Virginia, I'd look at the Catawba area. Other possibility would be the Glasgow/Big Island area.

Further south in Virginia, Bland is a possibility, as there's no place to stay there but a motel.

Not that you asked, but if there's anywhere that needs a good hiker hostel, it ain't Virginia.

I'd look at Vermont.

Default Bland

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    Further south in Virginia, Bland is a possibility, as there's no place to stay there but a motel.
    I had lunch with George and Murry Ziggenfuss last Sunday. They used to provide Trail Angel services in the Bland area, but have recently moved to Rural Retreat. However, Murry told me the Methodist Church in Bland is becoming much more hiker Friendly. They provide free breakfast for hikers a Saturday or a couple Saturdays a month in the Summer. I believe Murry told me they were considering some hostel services as well. George is doing well,
    Cedar Tree

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Tree
    I had lunch with George and Murry Ziggenfuss last Sunday. They used to provide Trail Angel services in the Bland area, but have recently moved to Rural Retreat. However, Murry told me the Methodist Church in Bland is becoming much more hiker Friendly. They provide free breakfast for hikers a Saturday or a couple Saturdays a month in the Summer. I believe Murry told me they were considering some hostel services as well. George is doing well,
    Cedar Tree
    i love those people, george was outta town when i passed thru, but murry picked us up from the side of the road anyhow. slackpacked us, fed us and gave us a place to stay. she's one heck of a trail angel.

Default Vt,

HEY JACK!!! I AGREE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    Bfitz:

Good question.

With the closing of Four Pines, if I was gonna put a hostel anywhere on the AT in Virginia, I'd look at the Catawba area. Other possibility would be the Glasgow/Big Island area.

Not that you asked, but if there's anywhere that needs a good hiker hostel, it ain't Virginia.

I'd look at Vermont.

You know what I miss in Bland/Bastian area

J FRED and his Market.

He rocked!

++ New Posts ++