WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Renewing seam taping on WP rain jacket

Anyone have insight into personally having to re seam tape a 2 yr old MB Versalite Rain jacket pre Windstopper version? Where might new tape be bought? is it vapplied with a heated iron? This is otherwise a Versalite in great clean condition. Can I try to heat reapply the tape back on where it has lifted or does it have to all be removed and retaped. I do not want to apply any liquid seam sealer that might raise or increase the wt of the jacket. TU

Not really specifically to WP tape on rain jackets, but I never had any luck in reapplying a tape that got disattatched, not even when I tried to do it right after it got loose.
    There was good reason why it could get loose (most likely, the glue became bad) and there will never be the same clinical cleanliness when it got attatched the first time, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    Not really specifically to WP tape on rain jackets, but I never had any luck in reapplying a tape that got disattatched, not even when I tried to do it right after it got loose.
    There was good reason why it could get loose (most likely, the glue became bad) and there will never be the same clinical cleanliness when it got attatched the first time, again.
    THX Leo. Not positive but I think the seam in question has to have all the loose or peeling seam tape removed and seam alcohol wiped and then dried before reapplying a new seam taping. I'm surprised no one here re seam taped a rain jacket or tent???

I would be one of those guys who would try everything that comes to mind to repair old stuff, instead of shopping new gear.
    But honestly, I found it difficult enough to seam seal my rain jacket and the poncho properly, one of the biggest problems being the 3d-shape and complicated folds of the garments and the impossibility to spread and flatten the seams properly that are snaking all around the 3d-shape.
    When working with tapes, the issue would be a too big one for me.
    Its different with tents, where you have straight seams mostly.

Another issue might be, that back in my garage I'd never have the perfect circumstances like temperature, cleanliness, additional cleansers and other chemicals, plus various helping mechanisms, that might be needed to get the perfect results the original manufacturer had (or didn't have, as the tapes seemd to fail too early)

Antithesis to the U. S. cultural norms of planned obsolescence, unbridled consumption, waste, and rampant Materialism I too am not keen on trashing otherwise an excellent rain jacket that has served me well and already have invested resources. Nor am I interested in a heavier wind jacket.

As always, and like several other International posters on WB, it's always a pleasure to have a constructive conversation.

Thank you DW for the kind words! The pleasure is on my side, always reading your texts with delight.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    THX Caleb. I was considering the option. I must contact them. THX again.

They were apt earned kind words my friend.

++ New Posts ++