WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Queen/King size 5 degree quilt for couples

I am searching for a 0 or 10 degree quilt for my husband and I when we start our thru hike in September 2019 (South bound from Harper's Ferry, then flipping back NOBO in late Feb) . I am a side sleeper and a cold sleeper, so I think we will need the lower temp for the colder months. I've looked at the zpacks twin quilt and liked it, but while researching I saw a 5 degree quilt that you could get in a queen or king size...Unfortunately, I did not save the site I was on. I thought it was a zpacks quilt, but they don't have that size when I went back and looked today. Has anyone seen a quilt that size? Would be nice to have the extra material to tuck under us. My husband is a restless sleeper and rolls alot! I believe the weight was 40-43 oz. Or, do you know of a cottage quilt maker that will do custom sizing/down?

Images

I realize it's not "king" or even "queen" sized, but if you have not checked out the Enlightened Equipment Accomplice, maybe just take a look. My wife and I have used one very successfully for 3 years now, on probably 100 nights of sleeping in sometimes very cold conditions. It comes in a temp rating down to 10, our's is a 20. I added about 4 ounces of extra down to our's. You can at least get it in the "long" and "X-long" sizes, though I think you're stuck with one width. I can say, it is plenty wide enough for my wife and I.

Aha... on closer look, I see their "custom" version is available to 0 degrees rating. Give them a call, maybe they can increase the width for you.

GAME 06

https://www.thermarest.com/quilts-an....html?srd=true

https://enlightenedequipment.com/accomplice-stock/

https://nunatakusa.com/arc-quilts-cl...e_a_stuff_sack

https://zpacks.com/products/twin-quilt

Some manufacturers will also make a custom version of one of their quilts for you as well.

You sure you want to sleep with him? He is going to stink!!!

Images

My partner and I have been using the Enlightened Equipment Accomplice Quilt for several years. We originally purchased the 30F version but it was woefully underfilled, so I sent it back and paid to have it filled to a 20F rating. For us that has been good down to freezing, using an Exped 2-person insulated sleeping pad, insulated hoods, and wool long johns and socks. On the coldest nights we drape our down jackets over us, under the quilt. We are in a Zpacks tent, so it's warmer than cowboy camping inside but not as warm as a double wall winter tent.

I think a 0F or 5F rating would make sense for your hike, given the appropriate pad and clothing. Are you getting off the trail during the winter, or planning to take 5-6 months to get from HF to Springer? (Not been sarcastic, this is a real question. It can be quite cold even in the South in late December and January. Colder than a 5F quilt would handle.)

A double quilt takes some getting used to. Just like at home, when one of us rolls over, it sucks in cold air, which makes the other person cold. The Accomplice has a large, well-insulated footbox, and all our feet are in it, so we're bumping each other all night, too. (I would not want a flat quilt in cold temps, nor would I trust a temperature rating from anyone other than an outdoor company. I've seen temperature ratings on quilts that appear to assume you're in a heated house and they are quoting the *outdoor* temperature.)

For us, the combo of the double quilt and double pad has been terrific. We save the weight of one sleeping bag, or about two pounds total, between us. And we sleep a lot warmer overall.

Good luck and have a great hike!

EDIT: The Accomplice in 0F, 950 down, Long, is 48 ounces, 51 ounces in 850 down (and $200 cheaper). They use *very light* fabric and it's not a huge quilt. I'd be wary of a 43 ounce King size quilt having enough loft for very cold conditions.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

We are getting off trail from late Nov-March 1. We figure we can handle Harper's Ferry weather at that time to resume and head North. We have some commitments to our farm life, so will need to take breaks at calving season and hay season(our children can only handle so much! But, are willing to help us achieve our goal of a thru hike within 365 days...which is our reason for getting some of it done in the fall). We know we will hit some cold weather and are planning for it. Thanks for your input!

Images

Cool, just be careful not to get to Vermont before the end of May. In general the trail clubs don't like hikers on the trail in New England during mud season, it rips up the trail.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I have nothing to offer on the quilts, other then personally I think they are a bad idea. But then, I don't have another person to share body heat with. But you can get sleeping bags which zip together so you can have the best of both worlds. It's also a good idea for each person to be self sufficient in case you get separated for some reason.

March is too early to leave HF NOBO. You really need to wait until the end of April and even then it can be rough. Slogging threw New England in the early spring isn't good for you or the trail. Vermont pretty much shuts down for mud season.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Y’all are going to need serious ground insulation. And serious sleeping clothes.
    Be warm. Be dry. Be safe!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by doeontrail View Post
    I am searching for a 0 or 10 degree quilt for my husband and I when we start our thru hike in September 2019 (South bound from Harper's Ferry, then flipping back NOBO in late Feb).
    Might be a little late for this as it's November 2019, but https://blueboltgear.com/ offers a 2 person quilt down to 10 degrees for a pretty good price. I just ordered a single person and the guy (Huzefa I think) offered a bunch of customization while still keeping a very fair price.

++ New Posts ++