WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default "You Can Now Hike the Appalachian Trail Virtually"

Interesting article from Outside magazine's website about an app that logs your mileage walked and illustrates where you would be on the AT if you walked that distance on trail.

distance is one thing. elevation and weather are quite a different animal. but I get the "appeal."
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    distance is one thing. elevation and weather are quite a different animal. but I get the "appeal."
    Totally agree. I have no problem walking the distance I have done in the Whites and Southern Maine. Now the weather, elevation, rocks, and roots make for a totally different experience.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    No one appreciates the difficulty of elevation change until they are walking up a mountain. You can’t explain to the non-hiker that they will hit a limit on daily elevation change just like they will hit a limit on daily mileage.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RuthN View Post
    Interesting article from Outside magazine's website about an app that logs your mileage walked [ divides that mileage by a factor of 2 to 4 ] and illustrates where you would be on the AT if you walked that distance on trail.
    Fixed it for a more realistic representation.

I can see all kinds of new arguments on what constitutes a virtual thru-hike.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    I can see all kinds of new arguments on what constitutes a virtual thru-hike.
    With Google's quantum computer you can both be a thru hiker and not a thru hiker at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    With Google's quantum computer you can both be a thru hiker and not a thru hiker at the same time.
    Ha!

A cop pulls Heisenberg over for speeding, says "do you realize you were going 85?" Heisenberg says "great, now I'm lost."

Quote Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
    Ha!
    A cop pulls Heisenberg over for speeding, says "do you realize you were going 85?" Heisenberg says "great, now I'm lost."
    If the cop knew his speed, how does he pull him over?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
    Ha!

LOL !!!! Good one. Reminds me of a quip:

"There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary arithmetic, and those that don't"

So would that be Schrodingers Hike?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by arrowdog View Post
    So would that be Schrodingers Hike?
    I'm guessing he thru-hiked the Möbius Strip Trail, carried his water in a Klein bottle, and slept in a hypercube tent.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 10-26-2019 at 13:41.

No desire for that AT app, as I can't visualize very many parts of the AT, but I "hike virtually" all the time. In a sense.
    Perhaps this is off-topic, but put me on a Cybex Arc trainer, or just a boring section of trail without a preponderance of rocks(I do seek those out!), and in my imagination, I'm in Utah's high desert, the Colorado Rockies, or maybe just one of my favorite places on the Cumberland Plateau, where I know there's an arch or waterfall just around the corner. Sometimes I imagine I'm mountain biking the trail I'm hiking(dang, this walking stuff is slow!).
    Does anyone NOT daydream while hiking a trail section that doesn't offer much stimulation?
    I kinda want to get a GoPro, and make mountain biking videos to pedal along with on the stationary bike in my living room when it's pouring down rain.

++ New Posts ++