WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Boo - trail tales

So in the spirit of Halloween I thought I would start a thread on scary,weird, unusual trail stories can be from anywhere in the woods. One of mine is I was section hiking south va. On the AT. And it was Halloween week and actually Halloween day I was hiking along beautiful fall day and there in the middle of the trail was a fox squirrel with his head gone . Ok what the hell, so I continue on and couple hours later there was a rabbit in the middle of the trail without a head. Alright this is some real Stephen king, ozzy Osbourne crazy stuff here . When I get back home a hunting buddy told me it was probably a hawk or eagle.

Journal Entries

Bin there done that. I've put much scary stories in these threads over the years and I'm not typing more. It probably was a hawk or a bobcat. They usually tear off heads and come back later. Not scary enough for me. I've had the real deals.

Quote Originally Posted by NY HIKER 50 View Post
    Bin there done that. I've put much scary stories in these threads over the years and I'm not typing more. It probably was a hawk or a bobcat. They usually tear off heads and come back later. Not scary enough for me. I've had the real deals.
    Don't tell me you had your head taken off by a bobcat or a hawk!! That would be a scary deal..

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    So in the spirit of Halloween I thought I would start a thread on scary,weird, unusual trail stories can be from anywhere in the woods. One of mine is I was section hiking south va. On the AT. And it was Halloween week and actually Halloween day I was hiking along beautiful fall day and there in the middle of the trail was a fox squirrel with his head gone . Ok what the hell, so I continue on and couple hours later there was a rabbit in the middle of the trail without a head. Alright this is some real Stephen king, ozzy Osbourne crazy stuff here . When I get back home a hunting buddy told me it was probably a hawk or eagle.
    We’ve had a few good threads like this over the years, I’ll see how many I can dig up. Here’s one to start:

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...med?highlight=

(P.S. NY Hiker 50 gave the exact same response last year. )
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 10-25-2019 at 23:45.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Yes thanks that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Here’s one I hadn’t even seen before:

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...aces-on-the-AT

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

One more cool thread I just found, this one about the Bennington VT area
    where I had some weird experiences on trail as well.

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...enbury-Vermont

Edit to add that the same stories Chaco Taco tells are covered in this episode of the podcast “Lore”

https://www.lorepodcast.com/episodes/67
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 10-26-2019 at 00:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    One more cool thread I just found, this one about the Bennington VT area
    where I had some weird experiences on trail as well.

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...enbury-Vermont

Edit to add that the same stories Chaco Taco tells are covered in this episode of the podcast “Lore”

https://www.lorepodcast.com/episodes/67
    Wow, I love a good spooky story apparently there's has been lots of good ones told over the years. Thanks for putting those links up sarcasm. I'll read the rest later, heading to work.

Yeah I agree people there has been enough weird, unusual,scary stories on the trails this year.

Registered User Nolan "Guido" Jordan's Avatar

I stayed in the campground at Cades Cove one Halloween night with my youth group. My whole group was supposed to come, but the weather showed snow in the forecast. So probably only about a dozen people came out of 30-40. It had been raining all day long, then it was supposed to snow all night long. Me and my dad came anyway since we liked to rough it. The heavy snow overnight toppled our tent over twice. The scariest part was the sound of falling trees in the forest all night long. I couldn't sleep at all. It was just really creepy.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Don't tell me you had your head taken off by a bobcat or a hawk!! That would be a scary deal..

ever hear of the "headless hiker"?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    We’ve had a few good threads like this over the years, I’ll see how many I can dig up. Here’s one to start:

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...med?highlight=

(P.S. NY Hiker 50 gave the exact same response last year. )

No kidding. There's nothing new under the sun.

Journal Entries

The only stories that scare me are the one's about the real people rather than the ghosts. real incidents have happened and those are the one's that should be told around a campfire. Oh well, at least those won't creep up on you.

Yellow Springs Campsite PA, AT mile 1173.3 NOBO

Apparently this site is haunted...

During a section hike an old-timer from Indiantown Gap told us during the French and Indian War (1700’s) militia stumbled on a Susquehannock family and slaughtered them in retaliation for earlier attacks on a settlement. A brave returning from a hunt found his wife, sister, father, and 3 children lying dead in pools of their own blood.

In his grief and rage he tracked the militia to the site we now call the Yellow Springs campsite.

That night, after the group had fallen asleep, the brave snuck into camp and slit the throats of eight sleeping militiamen before a ninth woke, yelled, and was killed by a tomahawk blow to the head. A tenth man awoke and fought back but was knocked unconscious. As the brave was scalping the dead and dying men who had murdered his family, the unconscious man came to and shot the Indian brave dead — depriving him of his revenge.

The man lived to tell the tale. ...and to this day, the grieving spirit of the brave, still seeking his revenge, haunts the site we now call Yellow Springs.

We didn’t see a ghost there, and survived the night, but that’s one hell of a story to think about during the night...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan "Guido" Jordan View Post
    I stayed in the campground at Cades Cove one Halloween night with my youth group. My whole group was supposed to come, but the weather showed snow in the forecast. So probably only about a dozen people came out of 30-40. It had been raining all day long, then it was supposed to snow all night long. Me and my dad came anyway since we liked to rough it. The heavy snow overnight toppled our tent over twice. The scariest part was the sound of falling trees in the forest all night long. I couldn't sleep at all. It was just really creepy.
    I've been in those conditions and yes very creepy hearing all that going on right outside your tent. Good one.

Quote Originally Posted by NY HIKER 50 View Post
    ever hear of the "headless hiker"?
    Now that would make a good story, if only I knew a way to get hold of Steven king.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet_1697 View Post
    Yellow Springs Campsite PA, AT mile 1173.3 NOBO

Apparently this site is haunted...

During a section hike an old-timer from Indiantown Gap told us during the French and Indian War (1700’s) militia stumbled on a Susquehannock family and slaughtered them in retaliation for earlier attacks on a settlement. A brave returning from a hunt found his wife, sister, father, and 3 children lying dead in pools of their own blood.

In his grief and rage he tracked the militia to the site we now call the Yellow Springs campsite.

That night, after the group had fallen asleep, the brave snuck into camp and slit the throats of eight sleeping militiamen before a ninth woke, yelled, and was killed by a tomahawk blow to the head. A tenth man awoke and fought back but was knocked unconscious. As the brave was scalping the dead and dying men who had murdered his family, the unconscious man came to and shot the Indian brave dead — depriving him of his revenge.

The man lived to tell the tale. ...and to this day, the grieving spirit of the brave, still seeking his revenge, haunts the site we now call Yellow Springs.

We didn’t see a ghost there, and survived the night, but that’s one hell of a story to think about during the night...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    That's a good campfire story. And makes it super creepy it's true I think. I live not to far from antietam battle fields the bloodiest day of the civil war alot of that kind of history around here and ghost stories that come with it.

Ok so I have another section hike story. All true non fiction central va. hiking the end of a long day and I come to cow camp shelter almost exactly 1 year after a hiker was strangled to death in the shelter and I don't think they ever found the murder. Didn't stay in the shelter and I was hoping someone else would come along, I usually like being alone, no one did. So I made it through the night and the next morning walking around camp/ shelter picnic table pondering why a hiker would strangle another hiker deep in thought so quite you could hear a squirrel fart and all of sudden 2 f‐18 fighter jets wing tip to wing tip , tree top level full bore flew by wow I hit the ground like I was being bombed. I think I had to get the baby wipes.

Journal Entries

They say a troll lives at the Cloud Pond lean to in the 100MW. It was unusually cold there and in the middle of the night, my hiking partner said he heard a voice call out to him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++