WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by ocourse View Post
    Why should hikers dictate how hunters act? Keep guns in their trucks? One can't hunt without a gun. How about hunters tell hikers what to do. Multi-purpose areas are just that. HYOH and Hunt Your Own Hunt.
    You must've missed my earlier complaint about unsupervised hunting dogs stealing my food and clawing up my tent and urinating on my pack etc. Multi-purpose areas are all well and good---until their activities (their dogs) interfere with my use of the woods. Hunt Your Own Hunt is great---just keep tabs on your dogs and stick with them---otherwise they glom onto hikers and backpackers for days (and nights)---as if abandoned.

I've seen dozens of these dogs over the years---maybe a hundred---and this little motard just peed on my pack---on a trip back in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Stray hunting dogs are the bane of my backpacking life in the mountains of TN and NC. If a normal person left their pets in the middle of nowhere for days at a time they'd be cited by authorities. Hunters get away with "abandoning" their dogs---without supervision---all the time. It's the Grand Southern Tradition of bear hunting. These dogs pee on my pack, steal my food, jump into the tent and claw up gear---and claw up the outside of the tent fly. Where are their owners? In their pickup trucks drinking hot coffee.

I just got back from a trip a couple days ago and saw a pitiful sight---bear hunters parked on a road and waiting for their dogs to chase a bear up to them so they could shoot it right off the road---but this is just my opinion as I did not see such a thing actually happen. While I was waiting for my ride out 5 or 6 loud shots went off and they bagged something---as the gunshots were very loud.

Hunting from the road should not be legal. Heck, using dogs to hunt bear should not be legal.

Hmmmm...
    TN: a) It is unlawful to hunt, shoot at, chase, catch, or kill, with or without dogs, any wild animal, wild bird, or wild fowl from a public road right-of-way, or to shoot any firearms across or on any public road.
    source:
    https://law.justia.com/codes/tenness...rt-1/70-4-108/

I couldn't find a nice easy source for NC but I have been licensed to hunt in 3 states and this has been the same as TN in every one. In some of the states I have been licensed in, you actually needed to be a certain distance from any road before discharging a firearm while hunting (as well as distanced from houses)
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Hunting from the road is illegal in GA, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it is illegal in most states. But I wouldn’t confront a hunter carrying a gun about it.
    no, if it's illegal or you are uncertain, the best thing to do is call the local game warden and ask/report the action.
    (license plate numbers are helpful in this case)

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    It isn't in Georgia.
    http://forum.gon.com/threads/hunting...ic-road.81627/
    www.eregulations.com/georgia/hunting/general-w-m-a-regulations/

Sadly, hunters have long developed a culture of "no snitching" when it comes to illegal activities. Don't count on any other hunter to report these criminals to local authorities.
    The hunters I have known would ALL report any and all criminal hunting acts. For the most part, in my experience, hunters are highly ethical and caring people.

A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman! ocourse's Avatar

Nothing illegal here, unless you can provide more info and absolute facts. Not sure what "glom" means. You're not responsible for dogs that don't belong to you. Hike on and don''t concern yourself with things that just annoy you. I'm a hiker and also a hunting advocate.
    I've learned....
    That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

NC has no statewide restriction on hunting from a road. It is a local issue. But it is against the law to discharge a firearm within 500 yards of a place of worship.
    More walking, less talking.

You're not responsible for dogs that don't belong to you.
    Right, I'm not responsible for dogs that don't belong to me. So who is???

Hike on and don''t concern yourself with things that just annoy you.
    Where does this line of thinking come from? I see it over and over on this board. Someone will post a valid complaint and others will proclaim that the person should just ignore it. Tipi Walter has had free roaming hunting dogs get into his food and urinate on his pack and he should just ignore it???? This sort of "live and let live" mentality is tiresome if not cowardly. What kind of world would we live in if everyone simply turned their backs on problems?

If it had been raccoons peeing on his pack, he would take 50 pictures of his pack, tell us again and again how heavy it is, how long he’s been back squatting and then tell us that the raccoons keep the wild in WILDERNESS

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    If it had been raccoons peeing on his pack, he would take 50 pictures of his pack, tell us again and again how heavy it is, how long he’s been back squatting and then tell us that the raccoons keep the wild in WILDERNESS
    You forgot to mention the 5 lbs of peanut butter I always carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Stray hunting dogs are the bane of my backpacking life in the mountains of TN and NC. If a normal person left their pets in the middle of nowhere for days at a time they'd be cited by authorities. Hunters get away with "abandoning" their dogs---without supervision---all the time. It's the Grand Southern Tradition of bear hunting. These dogs pee on my pack, steal my food, jump into the tent and claw up gear---and claw up the outside of the tent fly. Where are their owners? In their pickup trucks drinking hot coffee.

I just got back from a trip a couple days ago and saw a pitiful sight---bear hunters parked on a road and waiting for their dogs to chase a bear up to them so they could shoot it right off the road---but this is just my opinion as I did not see such a thing actually happen. While I was waiting for my ride out 5 or 6 loud shots went off and they bagged something---as the gunshots were very loud.

Hunting from the road should not be legal. Heck, using dogs to hunt bear should not be legal.

A lot of assumptions made in this post. The photo clearly shows two of the three hunters holding GPS handheld units. The hunters will try to remain in contact with their hounds until the bear has treed or bayed, and then hike in on foot to that location. From my experience on the AT I am far more likely to come in contact with a hikers dog off leash than a hunters hound. Hunting with hounds has been practiced for thousands of years. Why do you feel it should be illegal to do so?
    Last edited by jboggg; 11-08-2019 at 21:14.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++