WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Exclamation All Katahdin trails closed as of 10/29/2019

NoBos abt. 1200, SoBos 328, total ATers abt, 2500.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

so was this a late year for K trails to close? I seem to remember Oct 15th as "average"

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    so was this a late year for K trails to close? I seem to remember Oct 15th as "average"
    It's been a remarkably mild fall this year. The good days have greatly outnumbered the bad days, but the bad days were pretty bad. So yes, this is unusually late for Baxter to shut down.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

the campgrounds shut down on the 15th, the mountain doesn't

Campgrounds have stayed open til the 22nd for several years now, and Katahdin trails usually close a few days afterward.
    Even back when camping ended the 15th trails normally stayed open til near the end of the month, and that was one reason it was decided to keep some campgrounds open an extra week.
    The first year Baxter had an extended season I had Katahdin Stream to myself for four days, and the 'bonus week' has had fairly empty campgrounds and trails ever since. Great time to be in the Park!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    NoBos abt. 1200, SoBos 328, total ATers abt, 2500.
    Out of curiosity, do these numbers include section hikers or are these numbers just thru-hikers?

Quote Originally Posted by The Josh View Post
    Out of curiosity, do these numbers include section hikers or are these numbers just thru-hikers?
    I believe it includes section hikers AND flip flop thru hikers. I was given a summit card at the park in August but it doesn't have a number on it (I flipped this year), but she did note a number in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by The Josh View Post
    The total includes flippers and section hikers.
    Teej

-

are these numbers down? certainly is not close to the 3500 threshold

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    are these numbers down? certainly is not close to the 3500 threshold
    When I got to HF on July 18 they said numbers from Springer, HF, and from Baxter were down this year. A few hostel owners who'd I'd asked throughout the season said it was relatively slower than last year for sure.

++ New Posts ++