WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Front Royal and North

I have a few vacation days to kill before the end of the year so I am looking to get a few days in November. I live in Northern NJ and don't feel like sleeping in below freezing temps so does anyone have experience on the AT in the section I'm considering and whether a) it's a pretty section to hike and worth a 6 hour drive, and b) will I freeze my butt off?

Thx

Images

I hiked that section the first week of November last year. I had beautiful weather, highs near 70, lows in the 40's, no nights with below freezing temps. The fall colors were at their peak and it was gorgeous. But I may have just been lucky.

Sky Meadows was definitely a highlight, and honestly I didn't think the Roller Coaster was that hard. A lot of ups and downs back to back but each one is only like 500' elevation gain/loss.

If your schedule is flexible, I'd suggest keeping an eye on the weather and head out when you see a stretch of good weather coming up.
    It's all good in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by spfleisig View Post
    I have a few vacation days to kill before the end of the year so I am looking to get a few days in November. I live in Northern NJ and don't feel like sleeping in below freezing temps so does anyone have experience on the AT in the section I'm considering and whether a) it's a pretty section to hike and worth a 6 hour drive, and b) will I freeze my butt off?

Thx
    Front royal north I think it's 40 miles to rt.7 and bears den hostel. It's been awhile since I've done that section but you'd be doing some of the "rollercoaster " a series of ups and downs but there only about 15,20 minutes climbs. As far temps you'd have to check a couple days before heading out , this Sunday night there calling for the 20's . And as far as being worth a 6 hour drive I don't know that's kind of subjective there's no views until you get to bears den. I live in the area and a couple weeks ago I drove 6 hours to Massachusetts for 3 days 2 nights well worth it. Good luck, happy hiking.

My brother and I just did hike from WVA 9 to mile post 65 in SNP so we went past Front Royal into SNP. It seems all the SOBOs we met had no issues doing the roller coaster, but it was probably the hardest part of that section for us. We had some great weather most days but it did rain on us about every 4 days. this morning it was 30F in SNP at the top, and in the 60's and raining yesterday. So you could hit some cold temps or warm sunny days.

++ New Posts ++