WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    Squirrel hunting makes a lot more sense. Hard to pack out big game for miles.

Hardly anyone shoots squirrels around here anymore. We're over run by them and rabbits.
    40 years ago I used to see alot more coon hunters in the mountains---they'd pass thru camp at midnight with flashlights etc. Never see them now. Old timers die out and youngsters are phone addicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    That looks like a pretty cool trail---with alot of bogs and lakes. Will cold weather or snow affect your hike?
    I hope it does .

thom

Happy anniversary.

Late fall looks like a good trip out there. I'd love to get up there again in cool weather, it's tough to arrange during the school year. Here's to 200 more.

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    Happy anniversary.

Late fall looks like a good trip out there. I'd love to get up there again in cool weather, it's tough to arrange during the school year. Here's to 200 more.
    Thanks. 200 more trips would put me at about 90 years of age---doable!!

I guess October used to be National Backpacking Month in the Southeast mountains---but we had 97F in October so I guess Nov/Dec will take its place.

Journal Entries
    Images

Another great report!

Had to read scroll thru this one 2x to make sure I didn’t miss any rattle snakes, though. They hiding this time of year? Or just hiding from you?

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Another great report!

Had to read scroll thru this one 2x to make sure I didn’t miss any rattle snakes, though. They hiding this time of year? Or just hiding from you?
    There's all sorts of psychology at work here. On Trip 199 I saw a copperhead and a rattlesnake---and they took away any future anxiety and hesitation etc---whereby on this trip I wasn't concerned about my pit viper friends---as the previous trip got me thru the Reptile Gateway. Weird but true. So, without concern I of course didn't see a pit viper. "Been There, Done That" phenomenon.

BUT A VENOM MIRACLE DID HAPPEN!!
    As I was backpacking up the steep Crowder Branch trail on Day 10 I almost stepped right into a giant yellow jacket nest next to the narrow trail and recently dug out by a black bear. The hornets were swarming everywhere in angry display. Hundreds. Thousands. I backed off fast and here's the miracle part---a lone yellow jacket landed on my left leg below the knee and "kissed" me---he just landed on flesh, said hello, and flew off---WITHOUT ENVENOMATION! Wow, that's a first. I guess Miss Nature thinks I'm all caught up on my 2019 vaccinations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++