WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default GSMNP north section, Pecks corner to Cosby zknob shelter

https://youtu.be/XrnL60SGVcA

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Check out my youtube channel
    Ramdino Roaming the Trails

Journal Entries

Didn't watch full video - too long. Just wanted to say it's a great time to be out in the woods! Just got home from a weekend loop out of Smokemont Campground. Went up Hughes Ridge Trail and turned off about 2 miles from Peck's Corner. It was sunny but still chilly. Saw snow when we went over Newfound Gap, but none on the trail.
    Have fun out there!

Images

The video didn't say when it was made. It appears to be late summer or early fall. I was at Tri-corner between Sept. 5 through 12 with the Rocky Top crew. Not sure if you came through before then or after.

I cringed when I saw the caterpillar crawling on your shirt. Although I'm not bothered by spiders or bugs I've been stung by these before and instantly recognized it. Painful sting.

The stacked retaining walls were built in the 1930's by the CCC for the trail. Labor was cheap during the depression. But they did good work.

The F-4 crash site you passed though is reported to be spread over 20 acres. Unfortunately both pilot and navigator were killed. The plane hit the mountain at a very high rate of speed. The debris is supposed to be historic artifacts but some has been carried away as souvenirs.

++ New Posts ++