WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Woods Hole Shelter

I'm planning an overnight hike taking my brother on his first ever backpacking trip. I've hiked a lot around Blood Mountain but never visited the WHS. Is there a reliable water source there? Are there plenty of trees for hammocks? Any issues with annoying bears? The bear cannister rule is not in effect now, correct? Any other info I need to know would be greatly appreciated.

Canister requirement is not currently in effect. There is a reliable water source there, but may be low, but I have heard that with all the recent rain many of the sources are flowing well now.

Quote Originally Posted by Clisbyclark View Post
    I'm planning an overnight hike taking my brother on his first ever backpacking trip. I've hiked a lot around Blood Mountain but never visited the WHS. Is there a reliable water source there? Are there plenty of trees for hammocks? Any issues with annoying bears? The bear cannister rule is not in effect now, correct? Any other info I need to know would be greatly appreciated.
    The shelter and area around it tends to get heavy use. I think you can still camp at the intersection of the AT and the side trail, and there's some tent pads just north that are close enough that you can still get water at the shelter yet get away from the group if needed.

Jarrard Gap, south of Woods Hole, is also good and has a spring
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

Default Woods Hole Shelter

I like Woods Hole shelter. great eating area, lots of wide open space and a cool log cabin type construction.

Despite being told by a certain outfitter within walking distance that there was no water at the shelter and deciding to pack in almost four liters to the shelter, there is plenty of water currently at the spring just before arriving at the shelter. I agree with Mockernut, it is a good area. I would not want to be camping there in high wind, however as its location on top of the hill (I thought it WOOD be in a HOLE!) could be quite windy. If you want a bit more privacy, go down the hill behind the shelter and there are some good places for both tent and hammock.

That is good to know about the shelter water source as I have been there several times when it has barely been running.

The recent rains are finally paying off. I think we went almost 3 months in Atlanta without a hard rain up until recently.

++ New Posts ++