WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bartram Trail

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    That road walk on 19E and 194 into Banner Elk would be a little dangerous, but I'm sure hitching or getting a shuttle would be easy. Great map
    Yea my daughter is in Boone so I figure she can come give pops a ride :;

Quote Originally Posted by Southeast View Post
    Here’s the Caltopo map.

https://caltopo.com/m/LFRG#

Road walking or hitching to get to Roan / Grandfather. There’s an old carriage road up to Roan/Cloudland I’ll probably use.

The Mt Mitchell / BMCT / Roan / Grandfather / Linville loop is inspired by Adam at WACPhotography - he called it the High Country Loop. I first heard of it on a video by Neemors World and subsequent video by Douglas Hurdle (well done by the way).
    THX for all the answers.

If you deleted Roan, however I can see why you'd want to visit during flowering season or when rime covers everything in early winter/very late fall, it would be easier hitting Grandfather as a spur or alternate of the MST leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Is it all the trail and any road walk or alternates descriptions to connect all the trail in all the states? That would be easier and have more enjoy this solitudinous thru hike than trying to piece things together.
    Are you planning to do the road walk into Franklin? Seems to be a major drawback especially hiking w my mutts... may do this instead of SNP AT but hate idea of road walk or hitching/shuttle into town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Are you planning to do the road walk into Franklin? Seems to be a major drawback especially hiking w my mutts... may do this instead of SNP AT but hate idea of road walk or hitching/shuttle into town.

I’m not aware of a trail that gets you around Franklin so I think it’s either shuttle, road walk or hitch. Franklin being a trail town helps with the shuttle situation at least.

I prefer not doing that 10.2 mile road walk as the shoulders are narrow. However, have driven it several times to/from Wallace Branch and walked it almost entirely one other time taking an offered ride in the middle of a downpour when 8 miles into it. Outdoor 76 Outfitters in Franklin may offer a shuttle. I took one one time from Franklin. There's NO Legal Camping on that 10 mile stretch. Thomas Reeses's Bartram 1st Edition as offered contains excellent trail descriptions, elev profiles, and Mileage summary covering the 108.2 miles of the Bartram. No maps so you'll need the two Nat Geo maps. Might be a good trail for your typical trip duarations and having a dog along. The trail is much quieter than the AT.

I’m not aware of a trail that gets you around Franklin so I think it’s either shuttle, road walk or hitch. Franklin being a trail town helps with the shuttle situation at least.
    Thx definitely not road walking with dogs!

I wouldnt recommend that roadwalk with dogs, I wouldnt recommend it with no dogs. Most of those roads don't really have shoulders. And the crossing of 441 is a little treacherous. I know The Hike Inn does shuttles for the Bartram Trail, I've heard they are a little pricey. https://www.acorntrailguide.com/comp...e-Inn&Itemid=0
    Or you could make it in to 2 trips.

Default Bartram Trail

Quote Originally Posted by TR Trail Guides View Post
    I wouldnt recommend that roadwalk with dogs, I wouldnt recommend it with no dogs. Most of those roads don't really have shoulders. And the crossing of 441 is a little treacherous. I know The Hike Inn does shuttles for the Bartram Trail, I've heard they are a little pricey. https://www.acorntrailguide.com/comp...e-Inn&Itemid=0
    Thx for contact..I called outdoor 76 today and got a list of shuttlers..also spoke to a few hotels in Franklin..didn’t realize Ron doesn’t own the sapphire or BI anymore...looks like leaving truck at NOC and making that drop from Cheoah is best option for ending. I’d likely stay in franklin night before hike and could leave resupply box for last leg of nobo hike... I’m sure it’s a pricy shuttle as google says hour and half drive from noc to southern terminus. I will be buying your guide soon! Glad I just switched back to Verizon as ATT service in those parts is awful!

Just ordered...thx

Assume you have cell service (Verizon)near trail junction before the road walk or schedule in advance?

Assume you have cell service (Verizon)near trail junction before the road walk or schedule in advance?

I had cell service at the junction of the trail/road south of Franklin. Spectrum (Verizon).

I had cell service at the junction of the trail/road south of Franklin. Spectrum (Verizon).
    Thanks!

I just got back from hiking the Bartram Trail on Monday, and can tell you my buddy had his phone (with Verizon) and had service at the beginning of the road walk. He pretty much had service (on the peaks at least) over the entire trail.

Side note, I used this TR Trail Guide on my hike, and it says there is no parking at the trailhead at the beginning of the road walk. There is now actually small gravel lot directly across the road when you come down heading north with a sign that says Bartram Trail parking. We had two cars, so we were able to leave one there and shuttle ourselves around Franklin to Wallace Branch. I'm assuming this parking lot went in after the book was printed and will be reflected in the 2nd edition. The guide is great overall, much more accurate and easier to read than the one I had from the early 2000's. Have fun, this is a great trail with some really nice views now that most of the leaves have dropped.
    -tagg

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post
    I just got back from hiking the Bartram Trail on Monday, and can tell you my buddy had his phone (with Verizon) and had service at the beginning of the road walk. He pretty much had service (on the peaks at least) over the entire trail.

Side note, I used this TR Trail Guide on my hike, and it says there is no parking at the trailhead at the beginning of the road walk. There is now actually small gravel lot directly across the road when you come down heading north with a sign that says Bartram Trail parking. We had two cars, so we were able to leave one there and shuttle ourselves around Franklin to Wallace Branch. I'm assuming this parking lot went in after the book was printed and will be reflected in the 2nd edition. The guide is great overall, much more accurate and easier to read than the one I had from the early 2000's. Have fun, this is a great trail with some really nice views now that most of the leaves have dropped.
    Great thx....spoke w Zen at Gooder Grove hostel about a package deal with shuttle from NOC to southern terminus, ride into franklin two nights at hostel. Not as pricey as imagined...how was water etc? Y’all finish at NOC?

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post

I, too had service there (tmobile). North of the AT crossing at Wine Spring, I think all the way to Cheoah, I had no service.
    Thanks for the update about the parking area. I can get that changed, I only have a few printed at a time. I just received new box today though, (maybe hand write it in? or maybe send a note along with it.)
    And thanks for the compliment on the book. I've got got several more I'm working on now for different trails.

Great thx....spoke w Zen at Gooder Grove hostel about a package deal with shuttle from NOC to southern terminus, ride into franklin two nights at hostel. Not as pricey as imagined...how was water etc? Y’all finish at NOC?

Water was everywhere, all of the marked sources were flowing and there were other unmarked sources, as well. We finished on Cheoah and then just took the trail back down to our car on Winding Stair Rd.
    -tagg

I, too had service there (tmobile). North of the AT crossing at Wine Spring, I think all the way to Cheoah, I had no service.
    Thanks for the update about the parking area. I can get that changed, I only have a few printed at a time. I just received new box today though, (maybe hand write it in? or maybe send a note along with it.)
    And thanks for the compliment on the book. I've got got several more I'm working on now for different trails.
    Thanks to you for taking the time to put the guide together! The other one was so outdated that when we did the Georgia section last month my buddy joked that we should be write a new one when we finished up NC. Then your guide came out right before we left, so perfect timing. Regarding the parking area, if someone uses their GPS for 1400 Hickory Knoll Rd like you have in your book, the lot is right across the street and has room for a dozen cars. It's also right next to a house, so it felt like a safe spot to leave your car.
    -tagg

Glad to see this updated guide for the Bartram. What other trails are you working on?

A compilation of short trails in NE Georgia, and possibly one on the Cohuttas, those may be combined together. And another for the Nantahalas.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++