WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Silk Long Underwear

Since Wintersilks apparently went out of business---does anyone know of a source for Excellent men's silk tops and bottoms?

Amazon doesn't seem to have anything decent---too stretchy, too thin, some bad reviews.

I'm looking for midweight silk and not the usual ultra thin stuff.

I would try REI they usualy have evrything
    EZ-DOES-IT

Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

The two REI LS ones I've had/have are ultra thin and easily damaged. Perhaps available at REI are the mid wt you seek.

Journal Entries
    Images

Check with military surplus outlets, online and brick and mortar. Silkweight tops and bottoms are part of Soldier's cold weather gear. I kept mine when I got out, and use them for cold weather sleeping gear. They're great, and reasonably priced. Here's an example: https://www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/ecw...ght-underwear/

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Since Wintersilks apparently went out of business---does anyone know of a source for Excellent men's silk tops and bottoms?

Amazon doesn't seem to have anything decent---too stretchy, too thin, some bad reviews.

I'm looking for midweight silk and not the usual ultra thin stuff.

Journal Entries
    Images

If you're wanting pure silk, which it seems you are, these may not be for you, but for that price... might be worth a go.

G

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    Check with military surplus outlets, online and brick and mortar. Silkweight tops and bottoms are part of Soldier's cold weather gear. I kept mine when I got out, and use them for cold weather sleeping gear. They're great, and reasonably priced. Here's an example: https://www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/ecw...ght-underwear/
    Thanks for the link but these items are "silk-weight"---meaning 100% polyester.

I notice many companies advertise their silk garments as silk weight---meaning no silk.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    The two REI LS ones I've had/have are ultra thin and easily damaged. Perhaps available at REI are the mid wt you seek.
    Ultra thin is the big problem. Wintersilks used to offer midweight silk tops---excellent---and now gone.

We used to sell them (theunderwearguys.com) but, unfortunately the price quadrupled about 10 years ago.
    We stopped selling them and I imagine that's why wintersilks went out of the silk long underwear business too.
    We went out of business also. (Amazon killed us)
    Good luck.
    I imagine in India or China you could find some somewhere.
    But at what price?
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Land's End still sells real silk in a durable weight. I like this kind of silk not only for backpacking, but for light traveling in general. Very comfortable.
    Product details

Item #501680A7X

• Interlock knit is denser, warmer than ordinary jersey knits
    • Still light and layerable
    • Ideal for travel, commuting
    • 100% silk. Hand or machine wash. Imported

Trail name Catnapper

I have a quite old pair of silks from LL Bean which are still kicking, although the elastic on the pants top is gone. It looks like they still sell basically the same items as I bought years ago, and they are very well reviewed.
    Trail name Catnapper

We have bought from both Lands End and Wintersilks. I definitely prefer the Lands End silk long underwear. It seems more durable and higher quality than the ones we got from Wintersilks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmelee View Post
    We have bought from both Lands End and Wintersilks. I definitely prefer the Lands End silk long underwear. It seems more durable and higher quality than the ones we got from Wintersilks.
    Thanks. I checked Cabelas---they used to sell the stuff---NO MORE.

I think my current fascination is with LL Bean---Still gets alot of negative reviews with sheerness, too thin etc.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/7474...lalander&csp=f

Lands end silk is 50% off until midnight 11/8

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    ---Still gets alot of negative reviews with sheerness...
    I just got a real bad picture in my head...

UPDATE: I think I'm gonna ditch my silk obsession and go with a Smartwool 150wt long sleeve baselayer---right against the skin. Silk is wondrous but Merino ain't bad. It's comfy and so far not itchy. See pic.

Thin merino top options are vast compared to silk---and for winter this is better option anyway as it's warmer than silk. I'm wearing one right now---from my old gear stash in the closet.

canvas.png
    https://www.smartwool.com/shop/mens-...nId=A28#hero=0

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I've been using merino for a couple of years now, swear by it - comfy and doesn't stink like synthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    I've been using merino for a couple of years now, swear by it - comfy and doesn't stink like synthetics.
    I agree. It's a little heavier than equivalent silk but it's immediately warmer when compared---even the thin stuff. Btw---can't wear capilene next to my skin---feels like I have body lice.

++ New Posts ++