WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pot that will nest a Dragonfly, pump, and windscreen?

I just received a Dragonfly from a WB user and I am super excited to try out liquid gas stoves.

Anyhow I tried to nest it all in my GSI Haulite MicroDualist (1.4L) the windscreen is slightly to tall.

Does anyone have a pot recommendation?

As I recall, my Dragonfly fits into the large pot of this setup nicely:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019F6NTUW/

I'll have to double check that tonight though before you should trust me on it.

Default Pot that will nest a Dragonfly, pump, and windscreen?

Wow very cool set! Seems exactly what I would need I love having a skillet and pot.
    Last edited by OhioHiker; 11-05-2019 at 22:43.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    As I recall, my Dragonfly fits into the large pot of this setup nicely:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019F6NTUW/

I'll have to double check that tonight though before you should trust me on it.
    Did you get a chance to check the pot size?

I haven't yet, no. Will try to do it in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioHiker View Post
    I just received a Dragonfly from a WB user and I am super excited to try out liquid gas stoves.

Anyhow I tried to nest it all in my GSI Haulite MicroDualist (1.4L) the windscreen is slightly to tall.

Does anyone have a pot recommendation?
    Do not store a liquid petroleum stove in a cook pot. The tiniest residue of fuel can, at best, ruin your next meal. Trust me.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Do not store a liquid petroleum stove in a cook pot. The tiniest residue of fuel can, at best, ruin your next meal. Trust me.

Oohhh. Good point! I didn’t think of that...

Interesting. I carried my Whisperlite in a pot for years and never noticed the slightest hint of fuel smell/taste.

Interesting. I carried my Whisperlite in a pot for years and never noticed the slightest hint of fuel smell/taste.
    I think a quick swish of water would solve any problems?

I would have thought so.

Dragonfly definitely fits. I have pictures but the page isn't rendering properly on my phone to attach them.

I would have thought so.

Dragonfly definitely fits. I have pictures but the page isn't rendering properly on my phone to attach them.

Cool thanks for checking it out for me!

Based on the amazon listing the large is 3.3L and the Medium is 1.9L.

Do you think it will fit in the medium?

I doubt it but I can check now that I have the set and stove handy. Took my a while to unearth them in the gear pile.

I doubt it but I can check now that I have the set and stove handy. Took my a while to unearth them in the gear pile.

I do appreciate it. My GSI is 1.4L it seems to fit except the windscreen is to tall for the lid to go on

Overall do you like the quality of that set? Was going to head to REI soon and check out the Sea to Summit Alpha Pot.

I've only needed to use it on one trip but it worked great then. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality. You certainly won't get anything similar from a big brand without spending significantly more.

I've only needed to use it on one trip but it worked great then. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality. You certainly won't get anything similar from a big brand without spending significantly more.
    I fully agree. I sometimes take the view of buy once cry once. I already have some STS bowls and according to the description they nest with their alpha pots. ??

My wind screen is 5.75” the 1.9L Alpha Pot is 6.5”. My current 1.4L pot is like 5”

https://seatosummitusa.com/collectio...=7896100798492

The medium is too small for the stove itself. Because of the way the fuel pipe and flex hose sit, it's about a half inch too large for the diameter of the pot.

i habe a msr alpine 2-pot cookset. the heatexchanger, dragonfly and a windscreen fit in there just fine. never tried the pump because it stays on the bottle all the time, but i´m sure it can fit in there too. also a sponge, lighter, steelwool, small towel and pliers/pot lifter.

if i use a windscreen higher than the pot i wrap it around the bottle and secure it with a rubberband.
    happy trails
    lucky luke

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I agree with Feral Bill on this one. Once you remove the fuel cable from the stove pump there's still a little fuel in the stove and/or cable which is obvious just after you remove it and shake the stove---it drips out. I don't want white gas anywhere near my eating utensils, i.e. cook pot.

Instead I would fill your cook pot up with bagged raisins or oatmeal or other foods and take advantage of the pot's space. And keep your stove and pump in a separate bag away from your food.

Another tip---I have found thru smelly experience that it's best you remove the stove pump from the fuel bottle when packing up---and use a bottle cap to contain the fuel. Why? Because invariably the pump's throttle on/off thingie will open up ever so slightly when packed away and the bottle fuel will leak out and stink.

Pretty sure I use this 2.5 for group camping in winter with my whisperlite universal..

https://www.backcountry.com/msr-ceramic-2.5l-pot

I’d assume you could fit a dragon fly in there. I store pump, stove and windscreen in there.I vigorously shake out as much fuel as possible but I always leave the pump and stove in the bag they came in before it goes into the pot. If I don’t use that pot I use a toaks 900ml but nothing much fits in there as much as I remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have always stored my fuel pump in a ziplock bag when hiking. If it leaks it leaks in the bag. White gas rapidly evaporates so just leaving the bag open during the meal dries it out. I also store my fuel bottle in ziplock bag.

Years ago I was finishing up the 100MW and along the way I had picked up large full fuel bottle a SOBO had left on the side of the trail when he quit the trail. As we were hiking into Hurd Pond we encountered a potential SOBO thru hiker with all his gear laid out all over the place. It stunk of white gas. He was super bummed as his bottle had ended up upside down in his pack, had leaked and had soaked the contents of his pack. He was out of fuel and needed it for his hike. I took my pack off and handed him the full bottle I had been lugging for a day or so. He was appreciative. I offered to take his empty bottle out with me but he was adamant that he had spent hard earned cash to buy it so he was going to take it with him. I wished him luck and headed down the trail. This is not the first time I have met folks whose stove or fuel bottle has leaked and for the price of ziplock bag it would not be an issue. Many carry the stove and fuel in an outside pocket but I find that on occasion the pack gets dropped and the stove gets damaged so I use the ziplock trick and stow in my pack.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++