WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User Nolan "Guido" Jordan's Avatar

Default WTB Water Filter

I want to buy a water filter. I've been borrowing my dad's Katadyn Vario Microfilter (I believe that's what he has) for a while and I really like it, but I'm not a huge fan of the size and weight of it.

I like to go with something a little bit smaller but yet compact. LifeStraws don't seem to be that reliable from what I've read. How good are those Sawyer Squeeze things? Do those break a lot? I've just been using my 48oz Nalgene for water storage on my trips, but I'm considering getting something different. The Katadyn Pocket filter would probably be perfect for me, but they go for way more money than I'd like to spend (I understand that I will be spending quite a bit of money anyways. My range is around $50-$200).

Right now, a Katadyn is on the top of my list. I'd like something not too big, effective, and I want it to last for all of the long-distance hikes I plan to do in the future. Any suggestions? Needed accessories?

pus Squeeze is my only filter, never had a problem. I use Platyplus bags instead of the Sawyer. You can also mount the Squeeze on a Smart Bottle and drink from it.
    Get a couple of extra gaskets to put in your repair kit. Don't let the filter freeze.

PUT not PUS (fat fingers)

The Sawyer Squeeze plus the CNOC Water bag with a blue water connector will meet all your needs at a lighter weight and cost than a Katydin. I tried various setups on my AT Thru Hike (due to my own stupidity) and always return to this set up even to this day.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Journal Entries

Squeeze is the way to go. Not perfect but it hits most of the highlights. Low cost, thru hiker approved. Downside is the bag system is a bit awkward to gather water, but it's a small price to pay.

+1 for CNOC Vector Bags. Have 1 and works great

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Squeeze is the way to go. Not perfect but it hits most of the highlights. Low cost, thru hiker approved. Downside is the bag system is a bit awkward to gather water, but it's a small price to pay.
    Have other hikers tried the Katadyn befree for prolonged use? I use the squeeze and have always liked it, but the flow rate on the befree crushes my squeeze (I have friends that use it that are done filtering much faster!). Some of the reviews have said that there may be some durability issues though, but I read them awhile ago

https://www.katadyn.com/us/us/14946-...efree-0.6L_usa

I always bring some aquatabs as a backup

I use Sawyer as well, usually the smallest one. If you backwash it on a regular schedule it will last you a very long time even though sometime you have to be patient with the flow rate. But hey, who should be in that much of a hurry whilee you are out in nature. But what struck me about your post was this ... " and I want it to last for all of the long-distance hikes I plan to do in the future. " At age 17 THAT is not going to happen, at least I hope your log distance hiking career isn't that short. I have been backpacking since i was a pre-teen, I actually have a stove (SVEA-123) that would still work, it was a great purchase, but I don't still use it. There are so much lighter stoves, that use less fuel than the SVEA. So, no matter what filter you get, in 20, 30, or in my case 50 years later there are "better" alternatives. As to water I have used a number of different filterx, and a number of different chemical treatments (even one combination) --- and they all worked for me. Buy today what seems to be the best option for you. While I think at the moment Sawyer is the most bang for the buck, that doesn't mean it is the best option for YOU. Down the line there will almost certainly be even better options.

Have fun hiking, it can be a lifetime activity.

Turtyl (aka Ron)

++ New Posts ++