WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default New York and black flies?

Looking at doing our next week long section, this time in New York and lower Connecticut. 1) Do the black flies come this far south and 2) if so when do they usually come out? We were thinking about going in mid-May. Would this be a good time of year to do this section?
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikernutcasey View Post
    Looking at doing our next week long section, this time in New York and lower Connecticut. 1) Do the black flies come this far south and 2) if so when do they usually come out? We were thinking about going in mid-May. Would this be a good time of year to do this section?

Prime time for biters!

Yes we do have good quality black flys

thom

Images

I usually section hike May 10-17. It's great weather that time of year. Last year was from the AT train stop in Pawling NY south thru bear mountain n toward the NJ line. The year before was ny/nj boarder i think like school house rd to Delaware river gap. Nothing really think about, maybe a pain in the butt fly here or there. No bug spray no head net.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Back on the trail View Post
    I usually section hike May 10-17. It's great weather that time of year. Last year was from the AT train stop in Pawling NY south thru bear mountain n toward the NJ line. The year before was ny/nj boarder i think like school house rd to Delaware river gap. Nothing really think about, maybe a pain in the butt fly here or there. No bug spray no head net.
    Thanks. From what I can find online it seems this far south the flies are no where near as big of a problem as they are further north. It doesn't seem worth changing our plans since this week fits our schedules best. Thanks for the input.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikernutcasey View Post
    thanks. From what i can find online it seems this far south the flies are no where near as big of a problem as they are further north. It doesn't seem worth changing our plans since this week fits our schedules best. Thanks for the input.
    take headnets!!!!!

No black fly problems in New York unless that's changed in the last 20 years . Plenty of deer flies, mosquitos, etc though. Good hiking weather in May but it can still get really cold at night sometimes.

++ New Posts ++